Discuss Achieving a specific LUX level in a room in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dragon-av

I have a client who has limited sight due to a medical condition, now they can drive etc but reading is difficult and they have found that on sunny days they can read for short periods when sat in their conservatory, but need high level of ambient light to be able to (much higher than normal) they want to have a room set up with enough ambient light so they can read in there when they choose not just when the sun shines. I have looked at LUX calculators anyone know of really simple one? I have also suggested they buy a light meter like the Robin RT-24 and take several measurements when they can read so we have an idea of the required LUX level, once they know the lux level needed what’s the best solution to reaching this in a room? I have read the CIBSE paper on lighting for disabilities and it is useless....

Hey mate.

Cibse regs state that the minimum lux level for a room in which reading is expected to be done is 150 lux.

Normal bedrroms are 100 lux.

Easiest way of achieving this is probably to replace the existing light fittings for a higher lumen fitting.

These regs are only applicable to nursing homes and the like, as it's their house I would say it's up to them.

To measure the lux level you would need to take 5 readings, 1 in each corner 500mm out from the intersection of the walls and at a 750mm plane and dead centre of the room again at a 750mm plane. add all these readings together and then divide by 5 to give you the average. Sorry forgot to write that bit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate i think they are going to need somewhere around 2,000 LUX room currently has 6 50W downlights and a lamp..........

Reply to Achieving a specific LUX level in a room in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock