Discuss Adding a wired bell (with transformer) to a 2 way intercom in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm just your standard 'diy'er! I don't seem to be able to achieve the above, can anybody give me some pointers?

We have an existing 2 way intercom which goes to only one part of the house. we want to add a wired doorbell (Byron 766 inc transformer) so the rest of the house gets a warning!

The front door microphone and buzzer are connected to a wall phone at the rear of the property by 2 core bell wire / speaker cable and works just fine, if with a little background buzzing!!! Thinking this would be straightforward I added a junction block to the wire, and then more of the same wire to the point where we planned to put the doorbell. The doorbell is wired to a 3amp plug and the installation instructions state the bellwire should be connected at points 0 and 2.

So far I have achieved 2 things:
1. The new bell not functioning at all, but the office phone ringing constantly.
2. The new bell, again, not functioning at all, but the phone working as normal.

What clearly obvious thing am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, the amateur!

As far as I am aware you cannot connect a buzzer to the setup you mention.The sound for the intercom comes from a speaker and thus has no current supplying properties for a buzzer.

You could try taking two wires directly off the speaker and running them to another speaker of the same size.It might not work depending on the length of your cable as the voltage drop might be too great.

Maybe buying another phone the same as the first and then wiring it up as a second unit might also work.

Sorry to be a bit vague but without seeing what setup you have then it's difficult to help.

Reply to Adding a wired bell (with transformer) to a 2 way intercom in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock