Discuss Adding of socket outlet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, times just out so still finding my feet a bit! Friend is wanting a socket installed behind her tv. Plasterboard wall..sockets on that wall but no underneath tv. Is the best method if spurring off one of they sockets, cut a hole in the wall to drill though joist?? Then patch hole in. Only way a can really see, any help appreciated

First thing is to find out if the source socket is on a ring final, or a radial circuit or if it is already a spur from a ring.
the answer to that will determine how the job is done electrically.
Then there Is the practical issue of how to route a cable from A to B. The cable must be routed in one of the recognised zones. Basically horizontally or vertically from a socket or other accessory. The house often determines it it wants new cables being installed!

First thing is to find out if the source socket is on a ring final, or a radial circuit or if it is already a spur from a ring.
Then there Is the practical issue of how to route a cable from A to B. The cable must be routed in one of the recognised zones. Basically horizontally or vertically from a socket or other accessory. The house often determines it it wants new cables being installed!

Thanks for the response, it’s on the ground floor of the house so going into the attic isn’t even an option. That’s always easiest, that’s why a was thinking maybe just cutting a patch out the wall and drilling through the joist then patching it up

Word of advice when it comes to cutting hatches in plasterboard it can be a really fiddly job repairing and reskimming sfterward.
i had a job recently where I had no choice but to cut a fair sized hole in The plasterboard , the wiring part of the job took 10 minutes the repair job took 2 hours.

Extension lead might work no?

at my last house I made a length of flex with a plug top on one end and run it In mini trunking along the top of the skirting and up to the tv position on the wall...It actually didn’t look that bad and after a while I never really took notice of the mini trunking.

Word of advice when it comes to cutting hatches in plasterboard it can be a really fiddly job repairing and reskimming sfterward.
i had a job recently where I had no choice but to cut a fair sized hole in The plasterboard , the wiring part of the job took 10 minutes the repair job took 2 hours.

I find bigger is better when cutting routing holes, not huge but at least 150mm². Keep the patch and screw it back using a couple of battons.

Filling and sanding takes a couple of coats, I use one strike which dries in 15mins. You can achieve an imperceptible finish quite quickly on a painted wall

First cut your socket hole, then check for noggins, you might get lucky and there are none, it happens, occasionally.

Hi guys, times just out so still finding my feet a bit! Friend is wanting a socket installed behind her tv. Plasterboard wall..sockets on that wall but no underneath tv. Is the best method if spurring off one of they sockets, cut a hole in the wall to drill though joist?? Then patch hole in. Only way a can really see, any help appreciated
Taking the existing sockets off and seeing where the cabling goes would be a good first start. (Unlikely to go horizontally between in a plasterboard wall, but you never know)

Is the TV wall mounted? If so (hopefully) it will be mounted to studs so that should give you a clue where they are and work out how many you may need to go through.

Also remember to check the reverse side of the wall to see if there is anything suitable - easy to forget and then find there is a handy socket directly at the back of where you need.

And of course the things others have mentioned with relation to running wire in the zones, and ensuring its not a spur off a spur, etc.

And if redecoration is an issue, there is the D-Line decorative trunking that looks better than the square stuff.

if it's a studed wall, find the noggins (if any), cut a 4" hole directly on the niggins, fish cable then screw cut-out piece to noggin. saves addingg batons.

Reply to Adding of socket outlet in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock