Discuss Advertising for small jobs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I’m wondering the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to advertise locally for small jobs I can do in the evening after working for a bigger firm.
Should I just advertise for all kinds of work and then turn away the big jobs? Or specifically aim for the small jobs?

What has everyone else done advertising wise and how did it work out for you?

Thanks
HLR

Presumably you've got suitable insurance to cover you and that your terms of employment don't prevent you from either being in business in your own name or being in business or working for others in the same line as your employer?

If so, then just advertise Electrican available for small jobs.
Local Facebook groups alway seem to have people asking for trades or recommendations for trades for work.

As above. Nextdoor, Facebook…. Once you’ve done a few jobs, your name gets know… and you get repeat jobs, or neighbours of previous customers.

I would like to repeat about what your present employer thinks.
You might not be able to use their tools, van etc… Cant use their test certificates…

If the van (if any) is part of your salary package and includes private milage then you can use it for transport to you own jobs, but it could get very messy tax/expenses wise, but most important is PI insurance.

Nextdoor website

I get lots from that and they are mostly small on the way home jobs

Totally free to advertise and regular calls once you build up recommendations
Blimey!
I just put myself on that next door app thing after seeing your post and have 3 quotes already.
I thought one extra small job a week would be ok, not 3 within a couple of hours! 😆

All bar one has turned into a job, but... it seems you just get a flurry at the beginning, then nothing.
Perfect really, I'm too busy anyway, so hopefully it'll turn into the odd 'on the way home' job.

Next door seems to be full of nutters ! I would expect many just want free quotes and advice .And if they turn out to be a pain they will publicly blame you . There is only ONE good form of advertising ..."Happy customers" , they do it all for you

Next door seems to be full of nutters ! I would expect many just want free quotes and advice .And if they turn out to be a pain they will publicly blame you . There is only ONE good form of advertising ..."Happy customers" , they do it all for you
Stick to only working for people who have money and are nice. The moment they expect more or to pay less .Bin them

Reply to Advertising for small jobs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net