Discuss Advice needed setting up on my own in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

I've been working for a narional security system for the last 15 years, started off as an apprentice got NVQ level 2 in security systems which included technical maths.

From then I have been installing intruder door access cctv and fire.

I'm 33 and have had the itch to go on my own, I do alot of private work and over the years I have picked up on the electrical side of things, I'm by no means an electrician but I'm comfortable changing boards fitting extra circuits lights etc I done an extension on my house and had it tested and signed off by an electrician and he said he was impressed with the quality of work.
I'm forever getting asked to do electrical jobs at the moment and people are struggling to find electricians near me at the mo but I'm reluctant to do it as I don't have the quals. I only tend to do something if its an emergency or a fault and I have always got to the bottom of something. I'd never take something on I never had a clue about, I've looked at doing a course for like 8 grand but don't really see the point. I'm not looking to do rewires or even board changes. I was told if your competent to do a job you can do it is this correct?
I done a wiring regs course in college years ago and wouldn't mind refreshing on that and also learning how to properly test my work.

What my question is is if I set up on my own officially can I advertise electrical work? I have an agreement with an electrician who is happy to test and sign off my jobs also BTW but is this always needed?

I was told if your competent to do a job you can do it is this correct,

It's OK to say that until the wheels fall off
Me small jobs it's not a problem but if say some body say got the qulfacations then you are goosed.

who is happy to test and sign off my jobs also BTW but is this always needed.
I hope his insurance will pick up the tab.
Insurance for what? If something gos wrong? Like I said I'm only intending on doing small jobs and if work was to pick up or bigger projects come my way I would ask for assistance

Insurance for what? If something gos wrong? Like I said I'm only intending on doing small jobs and if work was to pick up or bigger projects come my way I would ask for assistance

Even a small job can have something go wrong in a big way. For example, chopping out a box for a socket, or drilling a wall for an outside socket - and cutting into a water pipe that you didn't expect to be there. When water is hosing out of the wall, you'll be glad you have that insurance after all.

Don't run a business without insurance.

Insurance for what
I think you are missing the point has I'm with the NICEIC like some people on here i can not test other people work ,like some people who are with NAPIT they can only do third party testing , has for those who are above ,if and if they test other people work and the house burns down or electrocute any body will the insurance people cover you I doubt it so to do any electrical work then you expected to have insurance of between 2-5 million .

Reply to Advice needed setting up on my own in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock