Discuss Advice on pat testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Experts
I would like some advise on pat testing.
i am converting old Bakelite radios, taking out all the original electrics and valves and installing bought 12V amp/Bluetooth board, speaker and 12V power adaptor.
Some wiring and soldiering is involved, but very basic
My question is, as i intend to sell these do i need to get these items pat tested?
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you are assembling an electronic product and selling it to consumers in the UK or Europe, albeit by installing components in a reclaimed case, you will need to CE-mark it as complying with the relevant technical directives and standards such as LVD and EMC. You can do much of this yourself, although you might need to enlist the services of a test house to approve the overall device for EMC emissions etc. This is not onerous especially if your modules are in themselves compliant as stand-alones, but would have to be done for each different design or combination of components. Each unit of a given type would be tested on completion; what electrical testing is needed would depend on what your specification calls for. A conventional PAT might be suitable or not as the case may be.

This is a different situation to restoring a set to original condition, where provided the design is not materially altered and the work is done using good practice and in compliance with whatever regulations existed when it was made, no further approval need be sought.

I assume that the radios you are converting are the technically unrestorable examples where the original chassis is beyond practical repair? It seems a pity to dismantle original sets otherwise, as all reasonably intact valve radios can at present be restored to good working order and will probably still be working / repairable long after bluetooth technology is lost to history. It is often a simple matter to integrate the bluetooth receiver to the original circuit so that it can be used with a phone, but retains its authenticity and can be converted back when its value as an original collectable exceeds that of it as a novelty bluetooth speaker. Of course, not all chassis are worth repairing, just throwing the idea out there!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you are assembling an electronic product and selling it to consumers in the UK or Europe, albeit by installing components in a reclaimed case, you will need to CE-mark it as complying with the relevant technical directives and standards such as LVD and EMC. You can do much of this yourself, although you might need to enlist the services of a test house to approve the overall device for EMC emissions etc. This is not onerous especially if your modules are in themselves compliant as stand-alones, but would have to be done for each different design or combination of components. Each unit of a given type would be tested on completion; what electrical testing is needed would depend on what your specification calls for. A conventional PAT might be suitable or not as the case may be.

This is a different situation to restoring a set to original condition, where provided the design is not materially altered and the work is done using good practice and in compliance with whatever regulations existed when it was made, no further approval need be sought.

I assume that the radios you are converting are the technically unrestorable examples where the original chassis is beyond practical repair? It seems a pity to dismantle original sets otherwise, as all reasonably intact valve radios can at present be restored to good working order and will probably still be working / repairable long after bluetooth technology is lost to history. It is often a simple matter to integrate the bluetooth receiver to the original circuit so that it can be used with a phone, but retains its authenticity and can be converted back when its value as an original collectable exceeds that of it as a novelty bluetooth speaker. Of course, not all chassis are worth repairing, just throwing the idea out there!

Lucien
Many thanks for your sound advice, Yes i only convert BER items, would be a sin to convert a working model.
i really just want to be safe when selling these on.
Thanks again for your advise.

Reply to Advice on pat testing in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock