Discuss Advice on Voltage Testers please. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

or one of these like wot i have.

Advice on Voltage Testers please. upload_2019-3-6_15-44-50 - EletriciansForums.net

i also got this.:
Advice on Voltage Testers please. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
and should either of these fail, there's always a wet finger.

I have this one it comes in its own case and the proving unit is easily used through the test probe holes in the bag.

I have this one it comes in its own case and the proving unit is easily used through the test probe holes in the bag.
Agree best one I ever had no gimmicks, does what it says on the box good bit of kit. expensive but worth it, in my opinion.

Never used a proving unit ever until recently

I tend to carry a Martindale AVI (after my Steinel broke) also have a clamp meter , multimeter and a Drummond all in the same bag, but only use the AVI's for checking voltage is present etc

One thing that annoys me is most makes the probes are quite chunky and some isolators don't have holes big enough to make contact

Previously always used known supply, seemed like a large outlay for something rarely needed for the type of work I used to do as there was always a socket or something that could be utilised

However moved into more industrial work a few years ago and had several occasions recently on sites where using a known supply wasn't allowed as it usually meant opening a panel etc and a proving unit was needed ,

Daft rules I had to prove dead then lock off etc only to be turning panel back on after dead testing to faultfind components which was allowed !

Spent 30 mins looking around at various sites and saw a used RS branded proving unit on eBay

I bid a fiver and won it, so with postage came to just under 8 quid , new battery fitted worked fine and probably the best bargain I've ever had tool wise!

I've had my fluke T5 for around 7 years at a guess. Works a treat still. Continuity readings start off a little high when the batts are low, but then I don't use it to get accurate readings as such. The croc clips are a good addition to have.
My only gripes would be that you can't zero the leads, and the annoying curved back which stops it from sitting still when using both probes.

I saw the guy an Indian electrician bring it when he came to turn power on to our panels on a job
He was a bit bemused that I wanted a photo of it as it's either one of these or a neon screwdriver for them

He asked what we used
So I showed him the Steinel probes I had then

He looked at them and said "How is it working Sir"?

Gave him a quick demo and for the next few days he kept bringing his mates round for a look and I had to repeat the demo and let them all have a go!

we have 6 Chihuahuas. ( 9 with the new litter, born last week).each will jump 3 ft. on 230V, 5ft on415V.

When I first started my apprenticeship, my old chief did actually stick his fingers into light sockets - "yerp, she's still running..."

I found this in a box in the shed the other day.
Still working. The "light vibration" referred to is quite fun....

Attachments

• Advice on Voltage Testers please. 0718132C-55AC-4861-90AD-029D0AAF850C - EletriciansForums.net
    0718132C-55AC-4861-90AD-029D0AAF850C.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Advice on Voltage Testers please. 0DABDF6F-387F-477E-9BBD-0FFE30A0C985 - EletriciansForums.net
    0DABDF6F-387F-477E-9BBD-0FFE30A0C985.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Advice on Voltage Testers please. 0A95947E-E8AE-4DDF-BDA0-6D13E0059801 - EletriciansForums.net
    0A95947E-E8AE-4DDF-BDA0-6D13E0059801.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 14

Reply to Advice on Voltage Testers please. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock