• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Advice on Voltage Testers please.

Discuss Advice on Voltage Testers please. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

Trainee Access
I am building up my tool collection, slowly, we have done safe isolation, on our course, so I was looking to buy a Voltage Tester. But I know the Fluke ones have had a recall. But I have seen these two:

Fluke T150 Voltage and Continuity Tester - Edwardes - https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/products/fluke-t150-voltage-continuity-tester

Megger Electricians Two Pole Voltage Tester - https://www.its.co.uk/pd/TPT320-Megger-Electricians-Two-Pole-Voltage-Tester-_MEGTPT320.htm

They both look very similar but which would you go for? I will also need a proving unit which is here:

Megger Electricians Proving Unit - https://www.its.co.uk/pd/MPU690-Megger-Electricians-Proving-Unit-_MEGMPU690.htm

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
I had the di-log ^^^ one. The lead came free from the main body after a year.

Wouldn't worry about the Fluke recall; least they've identified the fault and gone about the recall. I just received my replacement.

SparkyChick

Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla
Staff member
I have a Fluke T150 (currently at Fluke for the recall) and a T90. They are both great units, but I love the T150. It has been abused and lasted well but did finally succumb to the fault that triggered the recall.

I have a Socket and See proving unit, I found it was cheaper than the likes of Megger etc. but works great.

Wilko

Electrician's Arms
On the US currency is written "In God We Trust" and let me just say, this is the one tool that we must trust to always be right.

I have a Kewtech tester and prover - it's been perfect for 3 years, but that Megger does looook verrry nice (can you tell I want one?).

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
go for the Megger. at least it's not JCB yellow.

RDB85

Trainee Access
The Megger does look nice. I will see what offers there are on the Fluke. What’s the difference between the Fluke models?

MDJ

The Muppet Police
Forum Mentor
I personally hate fluke but that is me, I would go with the Meggar myself, JMO.

Powellm

Regular EF Member
I've got a fluke 117 great bit of kit if you have somewhere to put it ie a bench the amount of times I've had to let it dangle. I'd go for a pen style as they are very easy to read from if you have no croc clips. (Stop stealing by croc clips!!!)

RDB85

Trainee Access
I was going to look at a Multimeter but I don’t have the cash for one right now. I thought a voltage indicator would be a great start.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
i had a fluke T5-1000. on continuity it was less accurate than a piece of wet string.

RDB85

Trainee Access
I’ve decided to go for the Megger. It looks a nice piece of kit. I’m sure it will last many years.

On the subject of Multimeter, are they worth getting or would it be better saving for a MFT?

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]