Discuss Advice on Voltage Testers please. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I am building up my tool collection, slowly, we have done safe isolation, on our course, so I was looking to buy a Voltage Tester. But I know the Fluke ones have had a recall. But I have seen these two:

Fluke T150 Voltage and Continuity Tester - Edwardes - https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/products/fluke-t150-voltage-continuity-tester

Megger Electricians Two Pole Voltage Tester - https://www.its.co.uk/pd/TPT320-Megger-Electricians-Two-Pole-Voltage-Tester-_MEGTPT320.htm

They both look very similar but which would you go for? I will also need a proving unit which is here:

Megger Electricians Proving Unit - https://www.its.co.uk/pd/MPU690-Megger-Electricians-Proving-Unit-_MEGMPU690.htm

Advice on Voltage Testers please. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
i have this .good v/tester .

I had the di-log ^^^ one. The lead came free from the main body after a year.

Wouldn't worry about the Fluke recall; least they've identified the fault and gone about the recall. I just received my replacement.

I have a Fluke T150 (currently at Fluke for the recall) and a T90. They are both great units, but I love the T150. It has been abused and lasted well but did finally succumb to the fault that triggered the recall.

I have a Socket and See proving unit, I found it was cheaper than the likes of Megger etc. but works great.

On the US currency is written "In God We Trust" and let me just say, this is the one tool that we must trust to always be right.

I have a Kewtech tester and prover - it's been perfect for 3 years, but that Megger does looook verrry nice (can you tell I want one?).

go for the Megger. at least it's not JCB yellow.

I've got a fluke 117 great bit of kit if you have somewhere to put it ie a bench the amount of times I've had to let it dangle. I'd go for a pen style as they are very easy to read from if you have no croc clips. (Stop stealing by croc clips!!!)

I was going to look at a Multimeter but I don’t have the cash for one right now. I thought a voltage indicator would be a great start.

i had a fluke T5-1000. on continuity it was less accurate than a piece of wet string.

I’ve decided to go for the Megger. It looks a nice piece of kit. I’m sure it will last many years.

On the subject of Multimeter, are they worth getting or would it be better saving for a MFT?

I’ve decided to go for the Megger. It looks a nice piece of kit. I’m sure it will last many years.

On the subject of Multimeter, are they worth getting or would it be better saving for a MFT?

If you need to test small voltages accurately, or if you need to measure DC voltage, capacitance, etc. then you'll need a multimeter. They can also be useful for recording min/max readings on AC circuits over a period of time. But if you'll mostly be house bashing, it's a nice to have, not an essential.

Remember what you've been taught on safe isolation too, I.e. you must use a two pole tester, not a multimeter or MFT (or neon screwdriver or voltage pen).

You'll need an MFT, as these do tests that you can't do with a multimeter, such as IR, PFC, RCD tests.

Finally, if you do get a multimeter, think very carefully about what live tests you do with it, as its not designed to do what an MFT does, and apart from a fuse, offers no protection against doing the "wrong" live test. Check out some of the exploding multimeter videos online, they focus the mind somewhat.

I'm in market for 2 pole voltage tester and most budget friendly option that fullfils my conditions (smaller is better, voltage reading, continuity test) is Voltcraft VC 55.(Other option is Uni-T UT 18 D, but I don't know if it is any good.)
Advice on Voltage Testers please. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

It is probably same as Megger TPT320 and Metrel MD1160, just in different colour, so I would appreciate if anyone has feedback regarding Megger or Metrel. Thank you!

I have the one in the link.
It does not display a readout for resistance , only buzzes.
It is very sensitive on resistance and if you have the probe ( all safety checks assumed done) covers removed and touch the tips, if your fingers are the least bit moist it will buzz and may give a false continuity reading.
Other than those observations it is a lovely tester.

Reply to Advice on Voltage Testers please. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock