Discuss advice please? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

edward cooper

i work for a company that fits safety alarms in peoples homes. The equipment is effectively rented from us until it is no longer required and then returned back to us. Then it will be reused in another property. What safety checks should be carried out before it is deemed suitable for re allocation.

As PAT testing covers equipment in a commercial setting but not domestic (yet). What do you believe is suitable.

thanks for replay. they are more for fixed equipment ie burglar alarms. The alarms I fit are incase people fall etc with pendants and monitoring box plugged in and linked to telephone equipment.

My first post was a little unclear. Sorry.

Would it need a PAT test as they have a transformer plug ? I tend to shy away from Sky,Virgin,BT boxes plus internet equipment because of the obvious electronics issue but also because the customer does not own this equipment so for me it would be a visual as all of this gear is double insulated and I am yet to get a definitive answer from anybody why I need to PAT test it as the tester links out L&N ? I have asked a couple of "PAT" testers but I just get this glazed look and a I just plug it in and set the tester to class II comment

Maybe for the vast amount of money I pay for my elderly relatives alarm, and taking into account the £%$" service provided, that people should get a new alarm and not a second hand one that you don't even know how to test! And which come the time, probably won't then work anyway!

Thanks for letting me know they're second hand, I'm off to have an angry conversation with someone!!!

i work for a company that fits safety alarms in peoples homes. The equipment is effectively rented from us until it is no longer required and then returned back to us. Then it will be reused in another property. What safety checks should be carried out before it is deemed suitable for re allocation.

As PAT testing covers equipment in a commercial setting but not domestic (yet). What do you believe is suitable.

What have you been doing to date, or is it a brand new Company?

i have been economical with truth as to what i do and the company for discretion. it may or may not be a new company or local authority and i may or may not work for them directly. just wanted your advice and recommendations because as this came to light when the transformer plug fell apart in my hands i just want to be armed with solution when i bring it up.

there are no pat testing labels on the equipment but as i say not sure they would be needed?

also as oldtimer states they are 12v.

so would you say pat test labelled and records kept or just visual?

my agenda trev is to ensure that the equipment been fitted is safe and fit for purpose because i am not able to see the checks carried out to equipment prior to it been given to me for fitting so i am looking into it now.

obviously you should have stated your intentions all you had to do was inform us from the start what actually happened dont get me wrong we are used to people coming on the forum with half a story but as you can see after about 6 posts members tend to get irritated because they start to think they are getting used and then they get quoted at meeting when in reality they did not get the whole story and by the way this is not a lecture I understand that this is the internet a people dont want to give too much information away but you need to be more transparent

this is to drew not you oldtimer.

wind your neck in mate. im here trying to solve problem not to be criticised by you. i know exactly how to test but not into PAT testing i also hold 2391 current regs etc so i suggest you read between lines with the fact that i cant say whole truth as i need to protect my employeer. Which is NOT the company that supply these alarms.

all im after is what rules govern the fixing of electronic equipment that is second hand in to a domestic setting. if the answer is non then they are allowed to do it, if its it need pat testing then i will ensure that the company can provide evidence that this is carried out before they are re used. i just want to know what i am asked to install is safe.

i have been as transparent as i can oldtimer. i am here on the grounds of safety only.

Last edited by a moderator:
"i have been economical with truth as to what i do and the company for discretion. it may or may not be a new company or local authority and i may or may not work for them directly"

You have to admit all that sounds a tad dubious though Edward.
I'd say that because the equipment is being used commercially IE the company is renting it out then it should be tested in accordance with the PAT regime

i would agree with you but as the equipment has no testing labels on the it is obviously not been carried out. dont mean to be dubious but lets just say its partnership work between government departments and i cant say more than that.

If it's between government departments it's bound to be dodgy mate. Maybe you should ask your immediate senior what testing these things are subject to and why/why not.

as per some suppliers of this type of kit...

PAT (Portable Appliance Testing)
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Tunstall telecare equipment does not need to be tested under PAT regulations, as the telecare sensors work on a radio frequency and the Lifeline home units themselves operate in conjunction with a plug transformer and therefore the cable to the unit is low voltage. However, brief details of PAT testing follow as they may be useful when planning your overall service.
PAT testing forms part of a Health & Safety Policy to ensure employers take reasonable steps to ensure no danger results from using electrical appliances. Where electrical appliances are either used by employees, used in public areas or are supplied or hired the Health & Safety at Work Act places a duty of care on employers.
The level of inspection and testing required is dependant upon the risk of the appliance becoming faulty, which is in turn dependant upon the type of appliance, the nature of its use and the environment in which it is used. Portable appliances include items:
• Weighing less than 18kg which can easily be moved from one place to another, eg toasters, vacuums
• Hand held during normal use, eg hairdryers
• IT equipment, eg computers, printers
• Stationary appliances, eg fridges, cookers
• Fixed appliances, eg wall heaters
The Health & Safety Executive offers no absolute rules on the frequency of the testing but factors such as the environment, likelihood of abuse, equipment type and construction should be considered.
Testing must be undertaken by people with appropriate qualifications, skills and experience. Visual inspection and electrical testing should be undertaken by a competent person.
Records must also be kept in order provide evidence, should it be required, that all reasonable steps and due diligence were undertaken to comply with the regulations. This will also highlight any common or recurring faults with equipment.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

alarm man is this the same Munford & White Tunstall

Edward me thinks you have us caught up in a ****ing contest between department where people spend more time trying to outsmart each other rather than getting on with the job in hand is it any wonder they have a gold plated pension but we dont want to work for it mentality no wonder they get a bad reputation

old timer im just a man that gets a piece of equipment and has to fit it where i am told. i think you have been watching to many espionage movies over the years to think i have any agenda. im not trying to out smart anyone i have no gold plated pension i just want to know that when a peice of equipment fails and the shock manages to kill a poor old lady (low voltage or not) with a heart defect that they wont come knocking on my door.

Reply to advice please? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock