Discuss After advice reguarding office wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jimmyb

Ive been asked by my fathering law to wire his new office of 3 separate rooms which is being built inside a big shed.
He wants dado trunking right around all three room as he doesn't know where he want sockets at the moment and also where he wants his network points

I will be installing a new DB to run these runs but wondered what it the most practical way of getting cables from the db to the dado trunking ?
The wiring will run from the db upto the ceiling in trunking then though joists ect and then enter at the corners of the rooms into the dado trunking, with this method I thought I would have run t&e from the db into the dado trunking but I didn't want to use it within the trunking as I though singles is a best type of wiring

What is the best way of doing this ?

If it wasn't family I wouldn't get involved but the mrs is making me (otherwise I'm on a ban) :reddevil:

Are these going to be commercial use with lots of computer points as this will reflect on circuit layout and design?

Depending on the size and type of trunking used, I'd see if it was possible to butt it upto the DB in the form of a riser.

Or on better quality installs they'll use proper conduit
over half a metre? usually they just use metal copex

like you say they do use proper conduit on some but not all.

we got lucky on the first big job i was on, all the controls was in plastic conduit all three floors. (except plantroom)

made putting the 100 space sensors in quick.

nothing easier than putting hockey sticks in before its borded

Remember, quite few years ago, was doing the comms in an old peoples home, the Electrical contractor was using what I can only describe as yellow garden hose for the conduit. lol

If I were being forced to do a job (I'm sure that used to be called 'slavery') then I'd want to get in and out with the minimum amount of fuss.
Depending on the layout and number of cables, maybe 2x baskets (1 for data, 1 for power), or even just tied to catenary wires, and drop straight into the top of the dado.
That way you can save on initial install costs to allow for the inevitable fannying around and changes of mind without making it appear that the price is spiralling out of control and validating your father-in-law's view that you're not a proper tradesman but someone he knows who can do electrics.

Reply to After advice reguarding office wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net