Discuss Air con units and it equipment on RCD? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi ,

I usually do domestic work but i have an office job to price and i was wondering if the following items should be RCD protected, the reason i ask is for nuisance tripping.

Air con units 3ph and single
Sockets for the office computers
Comms/Patch panel

Thanks

Contractors need to be aware that equipment, typically refrigerators, freezers, IT equipment and controls, and luminaires are likely to cause inconvenience and disruption by unwanted RCD tripping. It is recommended that in order to minimise unwanted tripping, the sum total of standing leakage currents should not exceed 25% of the tripping current rating (I∆n) of the RCD protecting the circuit(s). Modern fluorescent fittings with electronic ballasts can have 1mA leakage current for every tube. IT equipment may have up to 3.5 mA leakage at each work station. It can therefore be seen that a single 30 mA RCD is only suitable for a few items of equipment. If too many items are connected, unwanted tripping is bound to occur and when a problem occurs it is likely to bounce back to the contractor.

Assuming this is a TN earthing system air con units, if the circuits are suitably installed would not require it. If it is a small comms cabinet, hard wire it. Socket outlets need to be arranged so as to prevent nuisance tripping of the rcd/rcbo.

Hi ,

I usually do domestic work but i have an office job to price and i was wondering if the following items should be RCD protected, the reason i ask is for nuisance tripping.

Air con units 3ph and single
Comms/Patch panel

Thanks

The first thing to do is to look at the regulations to establish which circuits, points or locations require RCD protection.
The usual domestic approach of 'everything on an RCD' is not necessary or desirable outside of a domestic installation.

Generally in an office you will only need RCD protection for socket outlets. Lighting circuits, fixed equipment etc is unlikely to require RCD protection.

Reply to Air con units and it equipment on RCD? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock