Discuss Am I expensive? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If no one informs the authorities about flybynight sparkies with names and job locations how the hell are they supposed to know??????? You have to give them a chance if you see something suspicious i.e botched wiring or mega cheap jobs that are likely to be done dangerously, inform building control or similar body. its ok whinging on here about it,why not take a stand against them

Matt's has GOT to be THE most important post on here for ages guys.... on all levels.

What do you say - made me think and have already listed 3 jobs in my head I've seen recently that I'm goinh to get onto.

All for one and one for all and all that?

YT2 is the size code for 25mm x 16mm mini trunking. SPF is speed fix trunking . ZT is twin compartment trunking . There are others too, just "google" mini trunking.

Mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if this is the right section or not.

I priced for a job yesterday to fit a new double socket. There were no sockets nearby that I could come from etc and reckoned that the job would take 2 hours max plus a couple of lengths of YT2, double pattress and a double socket, test and cert for £70 at the most. The lady nearly died!!

Needless to say I haven't got the job and she told me there and then. I've lost a couple of jobs through price but just reckoned I was unlucky. I don't see myself as being cheap cheap but I do a good quality job with quality materials.

You're not too expensive - add the travel to and from the job, getting your tools out, etc, etc, etc...

Re the reply concerning non-Part P probably undertaking the work... Simply phone your local building control to ask if a notification or planning ap have been made for the address.

After the Floods in Carlisle I was sorting out all sorts of issues on behalf of house-owners AFTER reinstatement works as a consequence of non-compliant electrics and, believe me, don't be afraid to be on the right side of the law and Part P is the law.

If you want to safeguard your future you have to do what's right, but what's right is for you to decide.

we are currently taking a client to court over non payment of our electrical work.

The courts decided in their wisdom to appoint an 'expert' to value the job. each party were asked to give him an instruction adn in ours we asked him to ascertain whether the work was priced between the highest and lowest price in the area for this sort of work (domestic).

Even after we had obtained over ten other quotes for the same work and sent them to the 'expert' he dismissed them as saying that even if they were to be taken into account he would need to allow for JIB rate increases and Materials increases and then the current economic situation. We are currently in the process of waiting for a reply as to why he didnt do this.

Any way his report has stated that we should be charging £16.41 an hour as this is based in JIB electricians wages!!! He gets this from Luckins.

We are not JIB affiliated and nor our our sparks.

WE'RE ALL DOOMED LADS.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The rate is for JIB Sparks - not for the business that utilises the human resource!

Whatprice? is an independant site on the web - have a look at the prices for electricians...

What was the 'Expert Witness' Qualifications? Was he a spark and a member of institute electrical engineers (M.I.E.E.)?

Cowboys give us a bad name, but those who don't pay what's agreed or try and sometimes do wriggle out of such make me sick. I've been done right over in the past and now work on the basis that prevention is better than cure...

we are currently taking a client to court over non payment of our electrical work.

The courts decided in their wisdom to appoint an 'expert' to value the job. each party were asked to give him an instruction adn in ours we asked him to ascertain whether the work was priced between the highest and lowest price in the area for this sort of work (domestic).

Even after we had obtained over ten other quotes for the same work and sent them to the 'expert' he dismissed them as saying that even if they were to be taken into account he would need to allow for JIB rate increases and Materials increases and then the current economic situation. We are currently in the process of waiting for a reply as to why he didnt do this.

Any way his report has stated that we should be charging £16.41 an hour as this is based in JIB electricians wages!!! He gets this from Luckins.

We are not JIB affiliated and nor our our sparks.

WE'RE ALL DOOMED LADS.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thought I'd add a bit more...It's strange for a court to appoint an expert witness? Regarding other issues I had to do a google search for my own expert witness and those on the other side of the proceedings could either get their own expert witness to challenge mine (or throw in the towel). The towel was thrown in because facts are facts.

We're not doomed - we just need educating in how to deal with those so low they can walk under the belly of a snake standing up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard,

Where did you find you expert witness. just in case we have the opertunity to bring one in for ourselves.

To put you in the picture, the court asked the defendant to come up with three experts and then we could choose one of them and send an instruction. this was done and we sent our instructon to the court for approval but nothing was heard from the court for over 6 months. we then recieved a court order stating that a witness (that we had not chosen) had been apointed by the court! therefore acting in breach of their own previous court order!

Honestly i have never been in a situation like this before and i have totally lost faith in the coutny court system. even the judges dont read their own orders. its a joke. i would never go through this again.

Richard,

Where did you find you expert witness. just in case we have the opertunity to bring one in for ourselves.

To put you in the picture, the court asked the defendant to come up with three experts and then we could choose one of them and send an instruction. this was done and we sent our instructon to the court for approval but nothing was heard from the court for over 6 months. we then recieved a court order stating that a witness (that we had not chosen) had been apointed by the court! therefore acting in breach of their own previous court order!

Honestly i have never been in a situation like this before and i have totally lost faith in the coutny court system. even the judges dont read their own orders. its a joke. i would never go through this again.

Right!

An expert witness is independant - did not know you prior to being consulted, etc, etc...

A court appointed expert witness cannot be independent if they provide judgement between 2 parties - I would make an approach to Her Majesties Court Service whose remit is to deliver justice effectively and efficienly to the public... And if this is the wrong department they'll steer you on to the right path. Once your on the right path simply email your correspondence and seek for "advice".

To find your own expert witness simply do a google search for 'expert witness electrical works' and you'll have your expert witnesses to choose from.

The trouble with non-business customers is you can't claim back your expenses of winning, but at least they're tax deductable.

Richard

Richard,

This may seem like a silly question but i have looked at this 'experts' creditials and he is a member of many organisations ie RICS, Australian quantity surveyors, Chartered Inst of Arbitrators, Hong Kong Instit of Arbitrators,
CEDR, Expert Witness Inst, Academy of Experts, RICS expert Witness Registration Scheme, The Worship Company of Arbitrators.

But he is not M.I.E.E!

Would this make a difference? and if so why.

I have lost several jobs to our friends in the EU. I just can't compete as I have insurances, qualifications and the correct tooling to do the jobs in the most health and safety way. A friend of mine in the trade, when I asked him about rates quoted, "You're an Electrician, you did your time that is what they should be paying for." How right he is. Now I noticed that you can buy self install consumer units in B&Q. What next. Of course the other gripe is the companies that are setting up as intermediaries, they get people to contact them and they send out more that four to bid for the job after having charged each a fee.

I have lost several jobs to our friends in the EU. I just can't compete as I have insurances, qualifications and the correct tooling to do the jobs in the most health and safety way. A friend of mine in the trade, when I asked him about rates quoted, "You're an Electrician, you did your time that is what they should be paying for." How right he is. Now I noticed that you can buy self install consumer units in B&Q. What next. Of course the other gripe is the companies that are setting up as intermediaries, they get people to contact them and they send out more that four to bid for the job after having charged each a fee.
Check the date on the posts, this was three years ago!

Going to get worse for the PAT Testers With this being sent out..
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is urging businesses to stop undertaking unnecessary electrical safety tests, which is costing low-risk businesses an estimated £30 million a year.
Following feedback from a government-commissioned report into the current state of health and safety legislation, the HSE has launched a revised guide on portable appliance testing.
The HSE claims that misleading advice and advertising by other businesses that offer electrical testing services are the main causes of the problem. It says that the law only requires electrical equipment to be maintained to prevent danger. It does not state that every item has to be tested, nor does it state how often the tests need to be performed.
True or are the back tracking.

I guess something as mundane as a socket doesn't really float the boat for the client. It’s like getting your car serviced, your cars comes out of the garage with no noticeable difference. Installing lighting for example, gives the customer that the feel good effect. My wife once asked me to fit a new socket to site a new lampshade or something similar. When she saw me knocking the wall about to get a new cable there, she nearly had a fit. She didn't realize the socket needed a new cable (hope she doesn't read this!), thought it just was screwed to the wall. People just don’t concieve the effect some minor things take.
Everybody wants things for the cheapest possible price.How many of us Google such & such, to get that last few pounds off our latest new toy/iphone/ipad etc.
Electrics have always been that, a neccity to make all those beautiful toys to work, flatscreens, power showers, playstations, bread makers etc, etc. Perhaps someone will invent a new power source!
When you still have the DIY stores selling CU’s, what chance have you got with pricing for a single socket?

Been reading through this, its scary how much hourly rate varies £15 ph i would have no choice but to go back working for someone on that rate! The price for the socket was spot on, the amount of calls i get "my last electrician charged me half that" i think you can guess my reply :/

Reply to Am I expensive? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock