Discuss AM2 Exam in a week time any tips or advice? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RyanF

-
Reaction score
Hi all sparkies/apprentices,

A quick introduction I am currently a electrician apprentice with a domestic contractor just a small business. I have now complete my NVQ side of my qualification now sitting the dreaded AM2 Exam on the 12th Febuary until the 14th. However, I do have the refresher course booked on the 8th and 9th.

So any tips or advice on the AM2 exam as I am most worrie about the fault finding unit.

Any tips or advice or links to website would be massively appreciated!

Cheers!

I am confident with safe isolation procedure and key in pocket etc I just feel like the fault finding element will let me down.

I am confident with safe isolation procedure and key in pocket etc I just feel like the fault finding element will let me down.
It will be simple if you keep calm and logical. Try the easy things first.
My two lighting faults were a blown lamp element and a broken neutral to the lampholder. This was in 1991, so things could be different now.
Already feeling old and don't need to be told. :(

I am just wondering if the assessor says the fault on the s plan heating system that when the customer operates Certain parts X or Y doesnt happen thats the ones I feel that will throw me.

Also I know there is a dol starter with a motor in the circuit or a pretend wiring box. How do you do IR test and R1+R2 etc I read aline that you have to short out the dol started due to the thermal overload of the wire has some resistance or something?

Read the sheet I put up in post #4...

Also I know there is a dol starter with a motor in the circuit or a pretend wiring box. How do you do IR test and R1+R2 etc I read aline that you have to short out the dol started due to the thermal overload of the wire has some resistance or something?

https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/2391-52-dol-starter-question.123024/

When I did my 2391-52 practical exam we didn't have a motor connected but sockets so I did:

For R1 +R2 I connected L1 & r2 together at the db, linked across the L1 input & output on the dol starter & plugged the megger into the plug socket using the plug adapter. Then repeat this for L2 L3 - recording the highest reading.

For IR I tested from the db to the input side of the dol then from the output side of the dol to the sockets.

https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/2391-52-dol-starter-question.123024/

When I did my 2391-52 practical exam we didn't have a motor connected but sockets so I did:

For R1 +R2 I connected L1 & r2 together at the db, linked across the L1 input & output on the dol starter & plugged the megger into the plug socket using the plug adapter. Then repeat this for L2 L3 - recording the highest reading.

For IR I tested from the db to the input side of the dol then from the output side of the dol to the sockets.

So I take it I would do the same process for mu exam as in with the motor circuit? Just throws me when theres the DOL atartee in circuit. Ill have a look at the link now thanks.

That sheet looks really good, changed a bit since I did it-no steel conduit and no mineral! What's going on!

Ps good luck I reckon you'll be fine, don't think they will try and trip you up so keep it simple.

Does anyone know how you would isolate say the 3 phase motor circuit as this will be on the DOL started circuit and how would you isolate the SWA 3 phase socketoutlet with the isolator? As in would youlock off the isolator then the consumer unit? Etc

These are things im wondering for my am2 exam

Does anyone know how you would isolate say the 3 phase motor circuit as this will be on the DOL started circuit and how would you isolate the SWA 3 phase socketoutlet with the isolator? As in would youlock off the isolator then the consumer unit? Etc

These are things im wondering for my am2 exam

Motor DOL CCT - DB feeds isolator - isolator to DOL - DOL to motor.

TPN socket in SWA and 6491x. SWA from DB to TPN socket isolator - 6491x from isolator to socket outlet.

You should isolate there circuits at the DB following the safe isolation procedure.

You will have safely isolated the installation as a whole at the start.
You will also be asked to safely isolate 2 final circuits at some stage after you have installed and tested. isolate from the DB following safe isolation procedure.

This is how i did mine last year. If you are unsure ask the assessor. They are normally as helpful as they are allowed to be.

Good luck by the way. :)

TPN socket in SWA and 6491x. SWA from DB to TPN socket isolator - 6491x from isolator to socket outlet.

You should isolate there circuits at the DB following the safe isolation procedure.

You will also be asked to safely isolate 2 final circuits at some stage after you have installed and tested. isolate from the DB following safe isolation procedure.

This is how i did mine last year. If you are unsure ask the assessor. They are normally as helpful as they are allowed to be.

Thanks for replying. So I would lock off the isolator first then isolate the board as well or simply turn off the isolator for the swa socket then isolate the 3 phase mcb?

Also, did you only install a 32amp RCBO type B on the ring circuit. I keep getting the feeling I should install a rcd or rcbo on the swa socket outlet im confused ...

Another thing how did you get on with the fault finding part as in the heating system element? I feel like I might struggle on this part.

Sorry to be a pain

Also make sure you operate the switches if you have to isolate the lighting circuit.

As in operate all intermediate and two way switching sequences? Testing all strappers.

Also forgot to ask how did you set your thermal overload for your motor circuit?

I got told you get all the working out etc in a specification booklet?

Main thing is don' panic and don't rush. There is more than enough time to get it completed and at the end use spare time to make sure you got everything right. Don' give them any excuse not to pass you. The thought of doing it is worse than actually doing it once you get an hour into it and tour in your normal rhythm you'l be fine

Thanks for replying. So I would lock off the isolator first then isolate the board as well or simply turn off the isolator for the swa socket then isolate the 3 phase mcb?

Also, did you only install a 32amp RCBO type B on the ring circuit. I keep getting the feeling I should install a rcd or rcbo on the swa socket outlet im confused ...

Another thing how did you get on with the fault finding part as in the heating system element? I feel like I might struggle on this part.

Sorry to be a pain

I would switch off the isolator but only lock off at the DB.

The RFC had a 32a type b 61009.

The TPN socket just has an MCB (60898)

The spec will show you which protective devices to use and which position in the DB the DB they go. Pay very close attention to the detail of the spec. Assume nothing.

The fault finding was easy enough. You will be given information about a particular circuit and you will have to explain what the fault is (using correct terminology), where the fault exists, and what you would do to rectify it.

7 faults in total. Just remember, terminology.

Earth leakage fault
Short circuit
open circuit

Etc etc....

My heating system fault was an open circuit on the switched Line conductor from the stat to the wiring centre.

Just study how the heating system works and work in a logical sequence until you identify the fault.

As in operate all intermediate and two way switching sequences? Testing all strappers.

Also forgot to ask how did you set your thermal overload for your motor circuit?

I got told you get all the working out etc in a specification booklet?

Yes i would operate the switches with my probes on the conductors/(all combinations) at the light. There is no feed at the light, just a switched line, neutral and cpc.

The motor overload calculation is worked out using the motors Kw rating, voltage, power factor and efficiency.

There will be a sheet with the information on your particular motor, where the spec is etc.

I didnt have to set mine, instead just showed how to work it out and wrote it on the testing paperwork on the back.

Reply to AM2 Exam in a week time any tips or advice? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock