Discuss And today started out so well..... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Adding another socket to an outside bar in someone’s garden. A little rain but nothing too bad..

Ran the cable, hammered a couple clips in and I hear a buzzing....

Wasps. Hundreds of them. The banging must have woke them up.

ive been stung about 6 times on one hand. 3 on the other. Surprised they didn’t get my face.

Top tip! As a neighbour of the house I was working at is a chemist, she said wash the stings in vinegar. Stings are alkali, vinegar is acidic. Seems to have worked a little.

I absolutely hate wasps. Hateful stripy little twots they are. No good to man nor beast. A definite Friday afternoon project by the big G I reckon.

Or is it wasps that make marmalade?

@DPG I think you’re getting your bears mixed up.... it’s Paddington that likes marmalade, whereas pooh likes hunny.
Bees make hunny whereas wasps are little bastards.

oops apologies. I thought that word would be censored after I posted

A little late now, but if you want to avoid being stung, agitated wasps and bees are attracted to the carbon dioxide in your breath. Then they will look for exposed skin to sting you. Holding your breath and walking away therefore prevents most stings. Was told this by someone who keeps bees. That said it didn't work the year I was mowing the lawn and went over a wasp nest, in the lawn. First thing I knew about it was when I was stung. Remembered to hold my breath and depart though (A bit sharpish), so was only stung once. The way the wasps swarmed a few seconds later, it could have been a lot worse, if I hadn't remember this little trick.

A little late now, but if you want to avoid being stung, agitated wasps and bees are attracted to the carbon dioxide in your breath. Then they will look for exposed skin to sting you. Holding your breath and walking away therefore prevents most stings. Was told this by someone who keeps bees. That said it didn't work the year I was mowing the lawn and went over a wasp nest, in the lawn. First thing I knew about it was when I was stung. Remembered to hold my breath and depart though (A bit sharpish), so was only stung once. The way the wasps swarmed a few seconds later, it could have been a lot worse, if I hadn't remember this little trick.

Good info. Worth remembering.
And I never knew wasps made nests in grass. Luckily I don't have any.

I don’t know if I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but when I got stung, the customer was a pharmacist... told me to soak my hand in vinegar.

I’m sure it helped with the swelling and irritation, but it made my van smell like a chippy for the drive home.

Reply to And today started out so well..... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock