Discuss Another housebashing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

For most of a recent barn conversion 1st fix we've been putting noggins in ourselves bang centre of the bedrooms etc. Then while not there the builders labourer put noggins in with central drilled holes where we'd wired for 4 bathroom downlights, then put the ceiling up.... Each point had downlighter written on the cables with a sharpie ffs.

Still use wood as plugs sometimes myself even now tel :)
So do I. However I discovered that a pack of bamboo skewers is really really useful - especially when working on old lime walls where you mostly can't get the hole to drill cleanly enough to tack a plastic plug. Saves all that whittling.

So do I. However I discovered that a pack of bamboo skewers is really really useful - especially when working on old lime walls where you mostly can't get the hole to drill cleanly enough to tack a plastic plug. Saves all that whittling.
McDonald's coffee stirers, always pick up a handful when in there.

At the risk of thread hijack ...
I was brought up with joists set into walls, so two sides of the room you could just go up/down between the joists, and the other two sides you'd use the gap between end joist and the wall (thumbs up to those builders that leave a useful gap there, and for those that don't/didn't - you b'stards).
No it seems that they insist on having a wallplate bolted to the wall, and the joists hung off that. So there's a 'kin lump of timber all along two sides of the room.
So what do people do these days, other than just avoid putting anything on those two walls ?

"used to light a fire in an old oil drum to keep warm "

LUXURY!
I were born in a cardboard box...had to get up 2 hours before i went to sleep...

I know...
I know...it's a brilliant sketch though!

Always carry cocktail sticks on me van for rehanging old doors

You've been lucky then Ian1981
The major house builders have always had to do this Pete on the sites the company have had.
The only building work we carry out are core cuts for fans and drilling holes in the joists

The major house builders have always had to do this Pete on the sites the company have had.
The only building work we carry out are core cuts for fans and drilling holes in the joists
I can believe it Mate how times and practices change!!!

I can believe it Mate how times and practices change!!!
I’m on a school refurb where the builder’s price includes all chases, drilling out, core cuts and noggins, we just wire and install, cable basket/trunking etc.
Draw back is it’s labourers doing chases and they are useless.

I’m on a school refurb where the builder’s price includes all chases, drilling out, core cuts and noggins, we just wire and install, cable basket/trunking etc.
Draw back is it’s labourers doing chases and they are useless.
On the larger sites we used builder's labour to do the chases. problem was he was Deaf and dumb, so instructions were difficult to relay. We didn't know his name other than he was Polish, nice bloke we called him Deafy, for no other reason than not knowing his real name.

On the larger sites we used builder's labour to do the chases. problem was he was Deaf and dumb, so instructions were difficult to relay. We didn't know his name other than he was Polish, nice bloke we called him Deafy, for no other reason than not knowing his real name.
We have a guy called Costy, he gets called Costa coffee instead of his mates

My new build used noggins, with holes for cables. Lighting point with just sw line & neutral, live feeds at switches.

At the place I now work, it has suspended plasterboard ceilings. At each lighting point, a square of ply is positioned. They even placed them in portion walls, which is rather handy, when we’ve had to add extras, like paper towel dispensers etc.

Reply to Another housebashing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock