Discuss Another socket puzzle: Why the extra terminal? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Fused supply for the 5 Amp sockets, get a grip

They're 2A, and the fuse is built-in.

Why would you want to cater for 2A sockets when installing a ring?

My comment was in reply to Lucien's question just above as to what you would use the 2A sockets for!

Table or standard lamps as was the norm in those days, 50s 60s 70s maybe long before people decided to change careers

The fourth terminal is indeed an output sharing the onboard fuse protecting the 2A sockets. It's intended for the rarely-seen companion unit containing a further four 2A sockets. The combination appears on the ring as one double point (one 13A socket and one unswitched FCU) but gives a total of seven sockets in two accessories. Heater, clock, lamp, TV, radiogram, other lamp, train set, spare, or whatever.

Never caught on, presumably as it defeated the idea of all plugs being identical and hence interchangeable.

Another socket puzzle: Why the extra terminal? 20190208_193556 - EletriciansForums.net

Interesting piece of history there... never seen something like that before.
My gran had an adaptor from 13a plug to 2x15a + 1x 5a, so they could still use their old appliances without changing the plug.

So it doesn't fit in a standard single k.o. box?
No, it's a custom size.

Kept meaning to show you this

Is that Bath - Off - Sink for a dual element immersion? Yes please, we don't have any of those. Will happily pay postage! Pity the red indicator lens is missing but we can find something suitable.

A side note about the fireside socket fuse. The original design shown here takes a BS646 fuse so the largest you could fit was 5A, which was correct for multiple 2A sockets on one circuit. But the later style in a standard 2G plate took a BS1362 fuse so a 13A fuse could be fitted leaving the sockets poorly protected. But in practice, unless the wrong appliances were connected to 2A plugs, due to a lack of 13A sockets, it was unlikely to cause serious hazard.

Pity the red indicator lens is missing but we can find something suitable.
The last one of those I saw (sadly still in use so I couldn't pinch it!) had a neon bulb in it which slightly protruded through the front hole.

Ah, maybe that's it. I thought Santon used a domed red lens but perhaps that was someone else. In that case I think we have the correct neon.

Found this the other week in an old boiler house...
Another socket puzzle: Why the extra terminal? FA734726-2F99-4AF5-B506-20AFE00B97C0 - EletriciansForums.net Another socket puzzle: Why the extra terminal? 75CBF85B-DB8E-4EE2-B3E4-92885A288279 - EletriciansForums.net Another socket puzzle: Why the extra terminal? 1C74C501-D256-46C1-873D-A59663CF894E - EletriciansForums.net

Fun! Outdoor compensation thermostat or some such, I'll take a closer look later.

Reply to Another socket puzzle: Why the extra terminal? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock