Discuss Another spark looking to go on his own! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

matt456

Hi sparks,
Im looking for a new direction after working for a boss for 12 years or so im thinking of branching out on my own.
Now is not the right time everyone tells me but is there ever a good time?
I tend to go against the general herd mentality and have always done ok out of it!
I can do all manner of electrical work as well as low voltage alarms, fire alarms, security alarms, bms etc etc. I have my 2391.
I currently work self employed via a cis card for an agency and was thinking i could fit it round that as i do the traditional sparky 1pm finish on fridays.
I really have not got a clue how to go about it. I have my own decent van, bang up to date megger test kit, all drills and tools required etc. So really just need to know what to do next?
I gave up all guvvy work a couple of years ago when i worked away in london so dont really have a good contact list built up. So i have a few questions:
1. What insurances do i need?
2. How do i get an niceic certification, do i need to do a course i.e.part p?
3. Whats the best way to start picking up work advertising etc? direct approach? The area i live is quite saturated with electricians and i know most of them fairly well!
4. Do i need to inform someone i have started my own business i.e goverment body? taxman?

thanks lads
matt

you will need insurance !! min "third party" (Public liability) depends on how you want to trade? company et cor sole trader etc. you need to work out whats best for you. Go to the Niceic web page and take a look at your options

then look around your area and ask yourself what you can do better than the other sparks?

my main selling point is I turn up on time and clean etc. some sparks in the domestic world look a **** state ! Do your quotes etc quickly.

Cheers luke it is a bloody mine field out there to get going but im going to give the niceic a ring on monday
thanks mate

matt456 for a good insurance quote try:

Trade Direct

Found Trade Direct competitive and you can pay monthly (for a fee) by DD. Helps with the cash flow!

Bear in mind that some schemes like NAPIT will ask for a limit for say Public Liability of £2M and Professionally indemnity of £250,000.

Also with schemes you are expected to have copies of the Regs, EAWR, On-site Guide etc.

Hope this helps!

Thanks warren looking at around 160.00 so not to bad.

Sounds pretty good Matt, what cover did you get for that?

Was Professionally indemnity of £250,000 included?

I do like the little extra's they throw in like £1000.00 for tool cover etc. :)

A rare example of government brilliance is the Business Link website:
Starting up | Business Link

It will walk you through everything involved with setting up in business, including showing all licenses and certificated you need.

Hope it helps.

Reply to Another spark looking to go on his own! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock