Discuss Any ideas for 3 phase supply? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Traineelectric

Hi
ive come to a job where it's got a single phase board and I need to change it to a 3 phase board due to new equipment going in.
ive gone back to the meter where the main control panel is that distributes supply's off to the sub boards and there is no spare ways for me to run a new supply.
Any ideas? I initially thought bigger control panel, but that involves a lot of work.

trying to load a pic of set up.

Any ideas for 3 phase supply? image (7) - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Any ideas for 3 phase supply? image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum (thread approved and your picture is now the correct way up, happens all the time lol)

You say you are a Trainee, are you able to do this work or have someone supervise you?

Can your supply cope with the additional loading you are planning?

Options replace with same model board with more ways so as to utilise the existing mccb's
Disconnect 3ph outputs (either 1 x 3ph mccb or 3 x 1phase mccb's) ... then feed another similar board off a new 3ph mccb in the space created and route the disconnected cables and new supply to your new board.

The meter only looks to be 100amp rated so I'd be checking on KVA demand.

As paul has pointed out if you are not experienced in 3ph or are a trainee then you need to leave this work alone or be supervised, this equipment is expensive and any errors you make can cost you, you may be competent but I'd be certain you know about this distribution systems as unlike domestic there is a lot of expensive lessons to trip you up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys, no I'm not a trainee but I'm always learning. ;)
that sounds like a good idea about using a current mccb as a supply to a new panel above my only problem is I have a gap of 350mm wide by 400mm high. Replacing the existing panel isn't an option because it would mean cutting power from the meter. I've not done it personally myself before.
Smallest panel suitable I could think of was to use a 4 way 3 phase board and have 2 63a supply's running through that but that is 470mm wide.

i have done a load test and its quite unbalanced at the minute, it would be more beneficial to put a 3 phase supply in to even it out, why there wasn't one put in in the first place I don't know. Single phase supply to commercial kitchen??

Any suggestions welcome.

It looks like you have a bit of room to the right of the meter, how much room have you got that side?

if there is room fit a suitable adaptable box and put the tails form the meter inside. Use the box as a bus bar chamber and re-feed the existing board from it and a new small 3 phase board as well .

It looks like you have a bit of room to the right of the meter, how much room have you got that side?

if there is room fit a suitable adaptable box and put the tails form the meter inside. Use the box as a bus bar chamber and re-feed the existing board from it and a new small 3 phase board as well .

It would still require 1 point of isolation so if going down that route its best to have a main isolator on busbar chamber then off feeds to new circuit and existing powerboard... agree its hard to give too many ideas without a wider pic' from the OP and my route was avoiding any issue altering existing tails to powerboard.

Darkwood have they changed the practice of using the DNO fuses as the original point of isolation?

How do you use the DNO fuses as a means of isolation when :-

-They would be 3 fuses in this case so not one point.
-Its not legal to pull fuses for routine isolation purposes without DNO permission
-The regulations do not cover the DNO's equipment so it cannot be used for such.
-Withdrawal of the DNO fuse in domestic (if you were allowed) would not satisfy 537.1.4 where both L/N need to be isolated.

TBH I don't recall it ever been able to satisfy as the single point of isolation for the install, check up on regulation 537.1.3 + Note and 537.1.4

Unless your hinting at sarcasm with your post -hard to tell without an emoticon :smartass2:

Last edited:
I would have to agree with Darkwood on this one and would not use DNO fuses as a form of Isolation it wants an isolator fitting IMO

whoa even I can get it wrong sometimes!

Somewhere in the dark recesses I'm sure I remember the use of the service fuse can be used with the service provider permission. May have been in the ESQCR- 2002 or even the older Electricity Supply Regs.

But I hold my hands up I maybe wrong

Reply to Any ideas for 3 phase supply? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock