Discuss Any suggestions for feed to consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Been to look at a job today to replace old wylex board.
Feed to unit seen in pictures fed from garage. It 16mm twin and earth.
I’m unable to access cables entering board so would struggle to replace with swa.

4E551CD7-4DA3-4473-9C41-85FC71025D83.jpegB366E331-E85C-4D05-9CE3-B010D806931A.jpeg

Looks from the pictures thats at some stage someone ripped the original cable out from its buckle clips and added the rcd on that bit of wood

I would like to re-do the submain in swa if possible but if not then you could put a small garage board where the original switch was and put the submain on its own rcbo

But you then have the issue of a front loaded rcd

Looks from the pictures thats at some stage someone ripped the original cable out from its buckle clips and added the rcd on that bit of wood

I would like to re-do the submain in swa if possible but if not then you could put a small garage board where the original switch was and put the submain on its own rcbo

Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking remove the upside down rcbo in picture. Replace with jb, separate pme to new rcbo consumer unit

I give up with predictive text!!!!
M.E.T!!!!!!!!!!

You can use the T&E and pull in a new 16mm main earth ( I would still also connect the cps from the T&E aswell )
But you must remember that the submain needs to be front RCD protected IF its runs through the fabric of the building.
We had something similar in our old house and the RCD was in the outhouse which meant if the RCD tripped I would need to venture outside to re-set it

You can use the T&E and pull in a new 16mm main earth ( I would still also connect the cps from the T&E aswell )
But you must remember that the submain needs to be front RCD protected IF its runs through the fabric of the building.
We had something similar in our old house and the RCD was in the outhouse which meant if the RCD tripped I would need to venture outside to re-set it
Good shout. I could mount one tidier in box. I’d expect nuisance trips but would explain to customer.

You can use the T&E and pull in a new 16mm main earth ( I would still also connect the cps from the T&E as well )
It is PME so if any main bonding of gas/water is in the house then the 6mm CPC of that is not up to bonding requirements.

EDIT: Was reading that as 16mm T&E but see you are right.

Unfortunately not. It’s a mid terrace.
I think the house was built around the cable!!! Lol!
Cable would have been pulled in before the floors and ceilings were put in. Your saving grace is in old houses like these you have floor boards where are much MUCH easier top pop up than horrible horrible chip board which is the devils flooring

Reply to Any suggestions for feed to consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net