Discuss Anybody Fitted Any Of These? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Volex, eh? Different these days.
70's onward, their gear used to be known as Ward and Goldstone crap. Cheap and rubbish.
I was a toolmaker apprentice at Ward and Goldstone when I left school. In Salford. They made other brands like Pifco and a few others I can't remember. Went out of business before I completed my apprenticeship.
Just as well really, as I had wanted to become an electrician anyway. But the engineering skills stick with me and have proved invaluable even as a sparky.

I was a toolmaker apprentice at Ward and Goldstone when I left school. In Salford. They made other brands like Pifco and a few others I can't remember. Went out of business before I completed my apprenticeship.
Just as well really, as I had wanted to become an electrician anyway. But the engineering skills stick with me and have proved invaluable even as a sparky.
A good friend of my old fella was one of the top engineers there in the 60/70's.
Started his own control panel building firm after leaving. Top fella and one of the most brilliant electrically gifted blokes I've ever known. RIP.

Fitted a few single phase Live boards which we acquired from our wholesalers while they were struggling to get hold of Hager for a bit last year. They are ok for a budget option - usual array of options for knockouts, decent enough space inside. The are let down by the horrible inner 16mm links with baggy/slidey insulation which is cut too short to adequately reach both ends, they also struggle with the usual fate of boards of that price range - MCB lean.

Had the joy of fitting a 12-way 3 phase Live board as part of a small temp site, with a generator supplying 21 bunkabins. Handled the 35mm 5-core HO7 dropper with ease but the 21x 6mm 3-core SWAs became a bit of a challenge to dress towards the end as one of the only two downsides I could find with the board was how shallow it was compared to other 3 phase DBs I've fitted. The only other issue was that the two oval knock-outs at the bottom of the board all but fell out as I took it out the box!

Glad to be fitting Hager again.

Reply to Anybody Fitted Any Of These? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net