Discuss Anyone with experience of installing a Generator AMF in a domestic setting? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Raptor0014

Esteemed
Reaction score
Evening all,

I've been asked to install a generator backup to a property, however they are going to be using a AMF panel.

The generator they are using is a Pramac P9000 and they will be using Pramac's own AMF.

I will be changing the consumer unit at the same time as it's currently an old rewireable type. So plan is to change the CU, install the AMF, Main supply and Generator supply into the AMF and then set of tails from the AMF into the CU.

Trying to find info about the AMF online is proving a tad elusive aswell as I can't seem to find what the terminal capacity is and if it could take a set of 25mm tails in/out!

So just wondering if anyone has done this before and if there is anything I need to look out for?

Never done it, but I'd be having a conversation with the DNO just to make sure they don't have any specific requirements for such arrangements.

Never done it, but I'd be having a conversation with the DNO just to make sure they don't have any specific requirements for such arrangements.

As long as it is a changeover set and does not put the generator in parallel with the grid supply the DNO can't say anything about it.

No experience with Pramac generator gear but I take it the AMF panel links to an ATS and not directly to the generator? If this is the case then the ATS will be doing the main supply/ generator switching and will be where the main tails and generator feed in connect.
Do you have model numbers for the parts they have?
Sy

So just wondering if anyone has done this before and if there is anything I need to look out for?

Check the rating of the AMF panel to make sure it is suitably rated for the supply, youay find it is only rated for 63A and there is a 100A supply in place. If this is the case you'll need to consider whether the supply could be fused down to 63A with a switchfuse or if an alternative solution is required.

No experience with Pramac generator gear but I take it the AMF panel links to an ATS and not directly to the generator? If this is the case then the ATS will be doing the main supply/ generator switching and will be where the main tails and generator feed in connect.
Do you have model numbers for the parts they have?
Sy
It’s this Pramac P9000 generator.
Anyone with experience of installing a Generator AMF in a domestic setting? 8A4BD44A-F367-43F5-873B-D1098B8B8471 - EletriciansForums.net

Anyone with experience of installing a Generator AMF in a domestic setting? C8B66563-5408-4600-B009-EA2599DF89DC - EletriciansForums.net
Anyone with experience of installing a Generator AMF in a domestic setting? E576CF71-1E1E-4346-A074-F03859BD3602 - EletriciansForums.net

The AMF they’re planning on getting is one of these. Although I’m not sure where it connects to as yet.

Not very helpful website no downloads! I can't see how that would be connected to the mains and generator without some reasonably heafty sized contactors does it connect to a contactor panel and then the generator is switched from there.
The last one I did was a lot bigger and had a contactor panel that the mains and gen connect to and a remote interface similar looking to that in the cloak room, this displayed grid voltage and frequency and battery charging status of the generator.
They do list some change over panels with contact in on the site but it's not very or I haven't found it helpful.

These are my preferred choice for transfer switches.
advantages are that they are all included in the same unit, including voltage sensing, start generator output etc.
they are bi stable in that when grid or generator are selected, the changeover switch stays in place with no power required. I.e. don’t need to be powering a contactor coil permanently.

I have never seen the Pramac stuff for real (though had some quotes for their 30kVA and 67kVA PLG sets) but I understand that the generator has the ATS control side but you need the box with the contactors as @SparkySy linked to.

I would add that you really must have an isolator switch on the DNO side if it is not already fitted.

You would be better to ask the UK centre, but persevere as I had to call more than once t get a sensible response:

I’ve spoken to them today finally.

That generator can’t use a AMF as it doesn’t have a con socket. I hope the customer hasn’t bought it yet as need to ring and let them know.

I've used PRAMAC sets in the past with no issues, although tending to be bigger 20-30kVA sets.

These are my preferred choice for transfer switches.
advantages are that they are all included in the same unit, including voltage sensing, start generator output etc.
they are bi stable in that when grid or generator are selected, the changeover switch stays in place with no power required. I.e. don’t need to be powering a contactor coil permanently.
oops, forgot the link!!

Reply to Anyone with experience of installing a Generator AMF in a domestic setting? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock