Discuss Armeg Single and double backbox cutter ? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey was thinking about splashing out on the Armeg back box chasing / cut in tool set but it's like £250 !! and am not sure if it with that try-wing red cutter thing will work as well as youpube videos show it ? anybody tried them in real world ? One issue is the concrete over here in Jersey is generally made with a lot of granite in the mix as the whole island is a big lump of the stuff which makes it very hard stone to cut out at the best of times.

I'm just finding it too good to be true and my 4" grinder is super messy and dusty and difficult to get just the double box etc.. without being too much cut across etc..:banghead:

Hey was thinking about splashing out on the Armeg back box chasing / cut in tool set but it's like £250 !! and am not sure if it with that try-wing red cutter thing will work as well as youpube videos show it ? anybody tried them in real world ? One issue is the concrete over here in Jersey is generally made with a lot of granite in the mix as the whole island is a big lump of the stuff which makes it very hard stone to cut out at the best of times.

I'm just finding it too good to be true and my 4" grinder is super messy and dusty and difficult to get just the double box etc.. without being too much cut across etc..:banghead:

I had one.

It was useless on anything harder than plaster or Thermalite block.

Found chaindrilling & clearing out with a Scutch Chisel & 2" bolster quicker & much less messy.

What are the different types of scutch chisel?

Never used one mate (which ain't what you wanted to hear!), but have heard numerous times they are not worth it. Fine and possibly a good bit of kit if you are cutting into soft breeze block but a struggle otherwise. Can't see the kit enjoying granite that much TBH! Chasing can be a pain at the best of times, and is probably most sparks least favourite job.

I generally chase with a Bosch 36V SDS with scutch comb. Normally take 10-20 mins to do a really neat job, depending on the brick.

Last edited:
Thanks guys won't bother then, Geordie, I haven't used a scutch chisel / comb since I started my apprenticeship but they seem around a lot lately are they better generally if knocking out by hand ?

Not had many good experiences with Armeg, there spade bits twisted in the wood (the actual metal), they replaced my 4 knacked bits for me for free with a 4 fluted auger bit which my 36v top range bosch battery drill couldn't drill it through anything but softwood without slipping its over-torque, I did get use and like their chip board hole cutter and seal kit but overall it seems their design team need to actually get off their computers and field test their designs before putting to market.

Last edited:
Thanks guys won't bother then, Geordie, I haven't used a scutch chisel / comb since I started my apprenticeship but they seem around a lot lately are they better generally if knocking out by hand ?

I find scutches help in keeping the back of the recess neater so the backbox fits nice and straight, not all wonky. I only use the SDS one but with practise can be as precise as with a hand scutch. I would only use a grinder if doing quite a few boxes/chases in a empty property. Too much dust for my liking though.

I find scutches help in keeping the back of the recess neater so the backbox fits nice and straight, not all wonky. I only use the SDS one but with practise can be as precise as with a hand scutch. I would only use a grinder if doing quite a few boxes/chases in a empty property. Too much dust for my liking though.

Dusty, that's my problem I'm sick of it, and days later when people living in there saying it's ok we'll vacuum ! & there's still dust floating about settling everywhere ! I'm off to buy myself a shiny Fein multi master 350Q this morning so I'll look for SDS scutch too !

or in an anoying customers house, anyway you can easily get foot high piles of dust if your doing a fair bit of chasing in there as well.

sds and grinder is the easiest way, just an sds usually works fine unless its on say red brick in a conservatory then you need a blade or it will chip/slip a lot

Chasing can be a pain at the best of times, and is probably most sparks least favourite job.

I quite enjoy chasing out, allows me to pretend the wall is David Cameron. With everyone else, scutch is easiest I find and nice tidy job.

I quite enjoy chasing out, allows me to pretend the wall is David Cameron. With everyone else, scutch is easiest I find and nice tidy job.

? with practise you can get nice smooth chases just using an sds in block, it takes a fair bit of practise but you can. i rarely use a bolster at all now (got an old wood chisel for block)

Well I take the view that if they're used by sculptors and stonemasons working on jobs like Durham Cathedral & York Miinster they must be ok.

Reply to Armeg Single and double backbox cutter ? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock