Discuss Army, Ex-Army - Electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently army employed electrician, I have the following quals:

2330 lvl 2 + 3

Aiming to get 2395 soon. I have a fair bit of experience and about to get a lot more in the following 18month. However hopefully there are some ex army that can help out with how to take all this into the civilian world. I have no immediate plans on leaving but at the end of the day leaving is inevitable so it's basically me trying to gather as much information as possible for the future. With probably having a decent resettlement package when it comes to leaving is there any advice from anyone on what courses I should be aiming for?

Ultimately I enjoy the inspection and testing side of electrical work, however I have no idea if this relates to a decent career (money wise) :) is that even a route you can follow full time? and is it worth it?

I hear from many people that it's pretty hard to get a foot in the door so to speak when leaving the forces into electrical jobs, I am sure that my quals don't stand up to many people going through the traditional apprenticeship route, but I am really confident in my theory and not a million miles away from practical (just not house bashing)

Anyway, this could maybe be a thread for people like me on people that have been in this position to give their opinions, stories and advice hopefully.

Thanks.

Hi Mate
Sorry if I sound dismissive, but if you are leaving HM forces don#t they provide any assistance, not financial but advice, I mean you have done your bit, they should be able to help, have you actually approached the resettlement within your Regiment? may be worth asking.

I have worked with a few ex air force electricians/technicians and there knowledge in industrial automation, PLCs etc. seems very good. Tons of work if you are familiar with this type of process.

Yes resettlement can be good once you have started that process, depending on time served there is funding for courses and time off to do them etc. It's probably only as good as you make it if you know what I mean, i.e. there is definitely advice available, whether its trade specific advice not too sure, but I guess it's a case of it can be great if you know what you need to do. Thats basically the idea of this topic really, it's open for anyone who has been through the process army to civilian electrical route and what their advice is.

I am not in the process of resettlement yet just to clarify, but ultimately that is where I will end up it's just a matter of time :) All I am doing is gathering as much information as possible to help me in that process.

2330 has been superseded now I think, the full name i think was:

Level 3 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology Installation (Building and Structures) (2330)

Level 2 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology Installation (Building and Structures) (2330)

We did a C course qualification which was 2369

Ah, yes.
Military courses used to end in 9.
Surprised that the C course used the old course number, when parts one and two have been superseded.
Would have expected that to be 2330C.

Ultimately I enjoy the inspection and testing side of electrical work, however I have no idea if this relates to a decent career (money wise) :) is that even a route you can follow full time? and is it worth it?

The trade training in the forces has always been a fine grounding for comparison with levels found in Civvy street

(The Iet reccommend that Test and inspection be carried out by those with the correct qualifications and with above average experience of the type of installation being inspected)

The above quote however,it is rarely if ever invoked by individuals or companies
To a certain extent,its a free for all to the bottom with quality of inspection and the wages

Test and inspection can be your main source of income and the work is usually in demand
Get yourself the new 2391 equivalent city and guilds and away to go

If you want to go down the testing route, then be very careful who you work for. There are firms that will expect you to do 4 or 5 tests a day and will only pay you £30 per test. But at the right company it can be rewarding.

Jay

Would not being JIB registered be a big problem? Obviously we don't go the traditional Apprenticeship route, so the NVQ 3 (2357?) Isn't part of our portfolio...

I think we can become trainee level JIB with the 2330 lvl 2 and 3 but not entirely sure. Is there anyway of retrospectively qualifying to NVQ level 3 standard? I am part of a big project this year that I would of thought would tick a lot of boxes in terms of what you need to show as evidence i.e. electrical work wise, we are involved from the design all the way through to commissioning the building

You can do a stand alone NVQ 3 if you have the relevant technical quals and experience, which I think you have. It is the 2356-99. Have a look at XS Training who are a forum sponsor I think. They still offer the 2356-99 and it might be right up your street if you have big jobs/projects lined up.

As for being JIB registered, it depends on which route you want to take. having the JIB gold card will certainly be a benefit when applying for a job and you might need one to get on various sites to work.

Jay

When I first left the forces in 1988, I attempted (not knowing any better) to join the JIB.
I was told neither my qualifications (2369) or my apprenticeship were acceptable.
I went and booked onto a 2360 course, during which I realised, there was no need for me to join the JIB at all. I decided as I had paid for the course, to complete it.
When later in 2006 I decided that I needed an ECS card, I completed a 4 day (2381) 16th edition update course, sat the H&S exam and received a JIB gold card.
I supplied copies of my 2360 and 2381 certificates.
I was never required to obtain an NVQ, as such things did not exist when I completed my 2360 exams.

From what I understand, the JIB now have a mature candidate course where they assess you based on your qualifications and experience so that you do not require an NVQ.

Reply to Army, Ex-Army - Electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net