Discuss Assignment advice - wiring diagram in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

On your first picture I would show and label the PEN conductor and how it splits at the service head. This would illustrate that you understand the earthing system and its arrangement, even though the circuit at the end of the line has become a TT system.

I would also show all the phases, neutral and earth going from each piece of kit. As I said you should label the PEN conductor, and Main Earthing conductor then it will become a CPC. Also reference the fact that there will be bonding conductors to Water, gas, structure etc.... This illustrates the parallel paths.

It also states that you need to show your earth fault path so don't forget to add that

This could be a nice thing to aim for obviously adding the extra things in you need.

Assignment advice - wiring diagram IMG_0823.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Symbol for transformer appears a little inconsistent either side of
magnetic core |||
(ELTK04a ..simplifies windings to Angled-Arrow wires ..eeek)
(Then adds to confusion angling earth-point ...)

You have the wording there in the text to guide you on what is needed.
So you need to have a circuit diagram fully labelled from transformer to charging unit 400V only including at least block diagrams of distribution boards, metering or consumer control equipment and showing the total earth fault path for the charger.

As part of the electrical contract, the client is considering an electric vehicle charging unit in the car park supplied from the existing TNC-s supply in the main hotel building. ….

Draw a fully labelled circuit diagram illustrating the three phase 400V supply system and earthing arrangement from the substation transformer through to the charging unit. The diagram should show the total earth fault loop path for the charging unit.

Your diagram does not need to show the complete detail of distribution boards, metering or consumer control equipment although the diagram should, as a minimum, indicate a connection point for each item of equipment.

Your diagram identifies units along the route but has no indication of line(s), neutral, earth, does not show the separation of the TNCS earth or the earth fault path.
You have shown the supply earth and the line conductors.
Use of colour may help to identify items and more comprehensive labelling would also help.

Pasteboard — Uploaded Image - https://pasteboard.co/HhvU0iT.png
Assignment advice - wiring diagram {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

This is my effort on the same project.

Please could someone advice me on how I can improve this basic wiring diagram.

Yes start again, regardless of whether it is right or not I suggest you use a ruler for just one bit of advice, and try to make the drawing look nice, all I see is a ball of wall.

Have no wish to be unkind but a suggestion to help your progress. Our tutor has limited patience with students who do not process a ruler or a protractor. Also, insisting on using the calculator in your phone will get a short answer when he's trying guide 13 folk with matching Casio's. I repeat; just suggesting.

Hotel block ,Cafe and pool in a spreadsheet for the cable cable calc's etc. My greatest weakness is going off at an interesting tangent; need to be better at just answering the question ASKED or loose marks.

But you have not shown the earth fault path for the charger.
However that is much more like a diagram!

The path goes back via the general mass of earth as it goes from a TN-C-S system to a TT-like system and my tutor has seen it and not commented that it needs improving. The idea is it shouldn't interfere with the rest of the Hotels electrical systems if a problem occurs with the EV charging socket.

I'll have to check the question again to see if they want the earth fault loop path depicted as well, it wouldn't take much work. We did this question at the beginning of the year we're almost wrapped up with this year, a couple more evolves and practical tests to go.

You certainly don't want to be doing a block diagram like the previous gentleman.

Last edited:

Reply to Assignment advice - wiring diagram in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock