Discuss Attach 1 double socket to CU in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You can only have 1 unfused spur from any point of circuit including consumer unit that’s the regs.
You can only have 1 unfused spur from any point of circuit including consumer unit that’s the regs.
I think what that reg means is that you can take an unfused spur from anywhere on the RFC, including at the CU, you are guilty of misinterpreting the Regulations Grant.

Hey George Cooke, that sounds a good idea, it would obviously be good to add the new socket to the Ring, I'm still trying to visualise that setup in my head, the job is actually in my sister-in-laws house. That being the case; would I only need to remove the live from the mcb and put it in the new socket, leaving the neutral in the neutral bar? Then run a 2.5 t&e from the new socket, doubling the live with the live I've removed and put in the socket, and putting the new neutral and earth in the appropriate bars in the CU?

Westward explain why, i was only trying to confirm what someone else suggested. You appear to be very negative, no pun intended.

Ok, I'm not an electrician. I'm looking for advice, I have a basic knowledge of Electrics, but believe with the correct advice I could do jobs like the one I'm asking about.

Westward explain why, i was only trying to confirm what someone else suggested. You appear to be very negative, no pun intended.
Whilst the forum doesn't mind giving advice to DIYers we do not extend that to step by step advice. From your posts this task is beyond your scope of knowledge. Leave it to a professional.

Ok, I'm not an electrician. I'm looking for advice, I have a basic knowledge of Electrics, but believe with the correct advice I could do jobs like the one I'm asking about.

I would suggest you take a look at a diagram or a ring circuit so you can fully understand how it works before attempting what you intend.
It's not easy giving advise to someone when it's not clear of there level of knowledge and undertsanding.
Sorry, not trying to be negative !

Which regulation is that?
Appendix 15
Ring and radial final circuit arrangements
Regulation 433.1
Page 505 have a look at the diagram it illustrates all that you can do with regards to spuring off very good page to understand the dos and donts as I wasn’t too sure untill I seen that page.

Put in a new protective device it would require notification to building control under Part P of the Building Regulations. Connected from the existing ring final circuit it does not, that's the way of it. Do you have rcd protection.
OP is in Scotland, Part P Notification doesn't apply there

to many google diyers out there thinking they know it all just by asking questions on forums. a friend of mine had a customer thinks he knows it all does all his own wireing dosent even know how to cable size volt drop loves a jb and choc blocks apprantly
i was told his garage caught fire. insurance refused to pay out because electrics was all wrong, little knowledge is dangerous,

Appendix 15
Ring and radial final circuit arrangements
Regulation 433.1
Page 505 have a look at the diagram it illustrates all that you can do with regards to spuring off very good page to understand the dos and donts as I wasn’t too sure untill I seen that page.

Appendix 15 is an informative annex, it is not normative. It shows some options that can be used for ring and radial final circuits. You can have multiple unfused spurs on the ring (you can find a few discussions about this on this site).

Appendix 15 is an informative annex, it is not normative. It shows some options that can be used for ring and radial final circuits. You can have multiple unfused spurs on the ring (you can find a few discussions about this on this site).
Sorry I’ve not made it clear what I was trying to interpret yes you can have multiple unfused spurs on any circuit but only one at each point didn’t make it clear find it easier to explain in person rather than txt

OP is in Scotland, Part P Notification doesn't apply there
Didn't spot thato_O

OP assuming these works are in Scotland my original quotes regarding Part P were incorrect however, it is clear these works are beyond your electrical knowledge and for the benefit of your sister-in-law she needs to get an electrician in. For this reason I am closing this thread.

Reactions: 123

Reply to Attach 1 double socket to CU in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock