Discuss Automation vs. Construction - career advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Currently working as a control system technician focusing on installing wiring on conveyors and control panels, get 12.5 p/h and lots of work away from home. Have previously done residential / commercial & industrial installation electrician jobs. Am torn wether to go back to construction, for potentially better money, ideally going towards self-employed contracting. The progression in my current job would be commissioning and design of systems, but I can't see the money going up to where I want to be in the next few years. I'm sort of just looking for feedback from people on either industry who might be able to look in the crystal ball and tell me what's the better option, or at least just share their own experience and opinions. Thanks.

Yep stick it out, an 12.5 is pretty low. Especially working away from home. You really need to be talking to your boss.

Standard in house panel builders, that just follow dot to dot wiring plans are on similar money, with no unsociable working or hours.

Better career prospects, less of a race to the bottom on price which exists in construction, no builders.
You can stay in the line you are, move into factory maintenance, move into training/teaching, move into design, programming, commissioning etc etc.
This route could take you over into BMS and the like, where as it is a more difficult career path to go from 7671 installations works into BMS then automation.
Just my opinion.

Better career prospects, less of a race to the bottom on price which exists in construction, no builders.
You can stay in the line you are, move into factory maintenance, move into training/teaching, move into design, programming, commissioning etc etc.
This route could take you over into BMS and the like, where as it is a more difficult career path to go from 7671 installations works into BMS then automation.
Just my opinion.
Stay in automation, it never stops changing and good luck on your decision

Apart from automation being so interesting, the trend is for more and more of it, which includes robotics and remotely controlled limbs, tools, manipulators.

The cranes at this Stanford- le-Hope, Essex super-port near me are all computer controlled robots:

See: DP World London Gateway Virtual Tour - https://www.londongateway.com/why-gateway/take-a-virtual-tour

Also take a look at BBC2's 'Inside the factory' especially the one on the Nescafe instant coffee factory in Derbyshire for state of the art food production:

Automation, control and instrumentation are the fields I would stay in for a satisfying career.

I know the OP and have been discussing this with him,
We have similar backgrounds and I've come from Construction and spent last 4 years doing Automation so I'm another vote for Automation !

However I noticed that all the replies were from Automation people but none from Construction.......

Anyone want to give some balance to this for the OP

I’ve been in construction/Project work for many years mainly Heavy industrial. It’s good for job satisfaction especially doing nice steel conduit runs. Other than that for mental stimulation I’d rather the Automation route.

I know the OP and have been discussing this with him,
We have similar backgrounds and I've come from Construction and spent last 4 years doing Automation so I'm another vote for Automation !

However I noticed that all the replies were from Automation people but none from Construction.......

Anyone want to give some balance to this for the OP
How did you find the switch from construction? Is it hard to pick up?

Yes and no
I found I was working with ex maintenance blokes and people new to the industry so the practical side for me wasn't an issue at all which meant I could concentrate on the controls side
However the others were good at the controls I know people say just break it down to basics which is often true it still takes time to pick it up due to components I'd heard of but never wired before etc

My advice to anyone making the change would be to try and work in a panel building environment as this would definitely be a benefit!

Its actually quite difficult in the UK to do this as in most areas there are virtually no courses upto level 3 at colleges ie City and Guilds except maintenance short crossover courses for multiskilling mechanical maintenance personnel and these are quite expensive
An Electrician would really need to do a HNC to learn automation or spend a few years working their way up which is what I've tried to do but I've still a long way to go

I found where I live there weren't that many companies involved also and the ones that are look for a higher level of education or they are poorly run companies that have a high turnover of staff

I think it's a ridiculous situation here as most other countries do everything as part of an electrician course and for a modern country supposedly a world leader in automation

I've looked at Irelands courses and we would do well to follow their lead

I know everybody is saying stay in the automation industry ,but the facts are £12.50 ph sucks most people know having a word with the boss is not going to help as with all bosses they might and I say might increase it a few pence if they needed not to lose an employee ,facts are if it increases it will be slowly over a long time not much fun when you have a baby or a mortgage to pay for,
construction is just as rewarding , and the pay when qualified is a lot better ,before I retired 57 I was self employed and registered at lots of agencys who still send me jobs via my phone they now range from £18 ph minimum to £21 ph for a flat 40 and time and a half after that to double on a sunday , that is now as we speak ,regular so my thoughts are chase the money you will not go back

I’ve been in construction/Project work for many years mainly Heavy industrial. It’s good for job satisfaction especially doing nice steel conduit runs. Other than that for mental stimulation I’d rather the Automation route.
I do enjoy a bit of conduit work :)
[/QUOTE
Yes and no
I found I was working with ex maintenance blokes and people new to the industry so the practical side for me wasn't an issue at all which meant I could concentrate on the controls side
However the others were good at the controls I know people say just break it down to basics which is often true it still takes time to pick it up due to components I'd heard of but never wired before etc

My advice to anyone making the change would be to try and work in a panel building environment as this would definitely be a benefit!
When it comes to construction I have worked in literally all areas. Some for long periods and others just scratching the surface. Most of my experience is in hospitals doing MRI and CT installations. Fitting all the panels, wiring the supplies to machines, wiring the control circuits, stop starts, stop buttons, general power and lighting, nurse call, data, Fire alarm, basically anything electrical in the imaging departments. But this type of work means lots of travelling so I stopped doing it. As I get older I want to be using my brain more to find problems and solve them rather than crawling around in lofts sweating like mad. I will always love contracting but realistically I won’t be able to do this until I’m retirement age. For me something similar to automation, maintenance is what I need to go into. Or maybe an Electrical technician. Just don’t have a clue where to start.

Reply to Automation vs. Construction - career advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock