Discuss B3 MCBs in domestic installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Going to fit an 'boiling' tap for a plumber next week so asked for a pic of the CU and got this:

Weird MK Setup.jpeg

which is all rather odd. Doesn't affect what I want to do, but the first time I've been B3 MCBs being used and can't think of any reason why someone would choose them over the standard B6

The label appears to have been custom printed, which suggests this wasn't a DIY bodge up - not to mention that the sheds never sold B3 as an option as far as I'm aware, so seems like someone went out of their way to spec this from scratch.

Are there any benefits that I'm missing? Or could this just be someone using up old stock they happened to have. Seems like it would just be more likely to trip if a lamp blows, and unless it's wired in bellwire, 6A really shouldn't ever be an issue in terms of protecting cabling.

And yes I'll check out the "micro wave" on a 6A breaker when I'm there - my suspicion is that it may have become the boiler feed at some point...

Or maybe this was a very early example of April Fools joke perpetrated by eFixx??

I am going back possibly 10 years but I would always get my MK split boards from Eddies near me and they accidently stocked up on 3amp MCBs back then and chucked me a few boxes of free ones.
So from time to time I would use them up for boiler circuits , door bells and smoke circuits etc even garage lighting

I have never fused a fan down in my life on a 6a circuit ( but don't tell anyone )
me neither. 6A MCB will trip before a 3A fuse anyway or if really unlucky, like I had once on a vivarium, 2 x 5A fuses and the 6A MCB all tripped on a heat lamp failure.

I would argue that we should be using C3 RCBOs for most light circuits, etc, these days, if only anyone made them...
why?
they are there to protect the circuit from overload, if we used 0.5mm cable then maybe but with even as small as 1mm it really is not necessary and will just lead to more people falling down the stairs when the lamp fails in the upstairs bedroom and the top floor lights go out.

I may agree with you if houses were wired with a lighting circuit for each room individually but if you are covering a whole floor then just no, keeping the power on through a minor and short lived fault is important.

remember, a 1mm cable is not going to get overtemperature if you pull 16A for 30 seconds.

1mm it really is not necessary and will just lead to more people falling down the stairs when the lamp fails in the upstairs bedroom and the top floor lights go out.
A C3 MCB would have roughly the same surge trip point as a B6 (5-10 * 3 versus 3-5 * 6)

A C3 MCB would have roughly the same surge trip point as a B6 (5-10 * 3 versus 3-5 * 6)
Sorry, didn’t notice the C type in your post.
However, I can’t stand B type breakers personally I see them as a hair trigger. There are few cases that a C type won’t meet disconnection times.

We used to use them for things like door chime transformers and smoke detector circuits when we used to install MK consumer units. MK consumer units got a bit crappy so we moved to a different brand.

Reply to B3 MCBs in domestic installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock