Discuss Battery tools. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just out of interest do people use their own battery gear (combi drill/ impact/circular saw ) ect.. if you are employed( PAYE) or does the company supply them for you to use. Obviously hand tools and such have always been a requirement for employees to have them selves but just wondered if its the normal theses days to be expected to have battery tools also?

I only ever served as an employee sparks to one company and yes they provided us with all power tools and some hand tools. I also had my own hand tools as well and my own 18v drill i sometimes used as i prefered it to the one they gave me

Just out of interest do people use their own battery gear (combi drill/ impact/circular saw ) ect.. if you are employed( PAYE) or does the company supply them for you to use. Obviously hand tools and such have always been a requirement for employees to have them selves but just wondered if its the normal theses days to be expected to have battery tools also?
We are PAYE and supply all our own hand tools and ~95% of power tools, test equipment and ladders/step ladders. We don't get a tool allowance.

We are PAYE and supply all our own hand tools and ~95% of power tools, test equipment and ladders/step ladders. We don't get a tool allowance.
While not getting a tool allowance as such are you getting a better hourly rate for going more or less fully equipped. I'm wondering what you are expected to supply power tool wise, drilling machines and impact screwdrivers are everyday items but after that you can get into some expense for power tools that are not often used. Then you get to test equipment I don't like to add up the value of test kit I own and add to that the calibration costs, then with ladders and steps you get what you pay for and then the worst bit is all the wear and tear that has to be covered
I'm assuming you claim against your tax for all this equipment and it's wear and tear

Theoretically, if I asked my boss he'd supply a basic set of power tools.
No way is he going to stump up the $5000+ in tools and meters I carry in my work vehicle. Plus, I have my own preferences for how I like to run my setup, and this way if I move on to another position, I don't need to stress over whether the new boss will work the same way.
EDIT: I should add that I am an absolute tool tart, and 9/10 guys at my work don't carry the variety of stuff I do. The company has hammer drills, circular saws etc for our use if needed, I just like having my own.

While not getting a tool allowance as such are you getting a better hourly rate for going more or less fully equipped. I'm wondering what you are expected to supply power tool wise, drilling machines and impact screwdrivers are everyday items but after that you can get into some expense for power tools that are not often used. Then you get to test equipment I don't like to add up the value of test kit I own and add to that the calibration costs, then with ladders and steps you get what you pay for and then the worst bit is all the wear and tear that has to be covered
I'm assuming you claim against your tax for all this equipment and it's wear and tear
I'm at the low end compared to the rates that have been posted in various threads on this forum. Work would supply some basic power tools, but they are big, heavy, low powered and use NiMH batteries orm110V. Drill bits blunt after a couple of uses etc. I'm glad they supply infrequently used tools such as core drills, portable generator etc. Having to share ladders is impractical, It's surprising how often I need the extension ladders. It would waste a lot of time having to keep loading them in and out of the stores. No I don't claim anything.

I presuming its only the self employed that can claim for use of own tools not the PAYE on the books guys?
paye empoyees can claim any expense that they incur to perform their job. e.g. you can claim the costs of washing your work clothing.

It never occurred to me that claiming expenses back when on the books was possible, this I will have to look into...

So if using your own battery gear do any of you guys get wear and tear money for repairing and renewing it when it fails.
I have to supply all my battery stuff and have done while working for the current company for last 4 years. I have a good selection of 18v makita gear but its starting to get tired now. I use it and am expected to let the company apprentice use it because obviously they have nothing when just starting out, so it gets some hammer. I am now thinking that having a couple new battery's bought by the firm or repairs done drill drivers ( new brushes ext.) Wouldn't be out the way. Or am I expecting to much ???

'kinell who do you work for Scrooge Eletrical? Test equipment? I buy my own test leads as I kept leaving them is ceilings and it just embarrassing to keep asking for a new set.

Personally I supply hand tools and battery tools but have veto on how they are used, if I deem the usage too heavy we hire,and they begrudgingly agree.

am expected to let the company apprentice use it

can't the silly bugger use a spoon to stir the tea?

It is very normal. I am PAYE on the cards, and supply every hand and battery tool. It doesn't bother me though, no one is allowed to use or borrow them under any circumstances unless the company is willing to pay for the tool and this is understood so I have no issues. I don't get a tool allowance either.

It never occurred to me that claiming expenses back when on the books was possible, this I will have to look into...
You can claim for most things you use for work, your work wear, safety boots, tools, regs books it pays to keep all the receipts, for some things like the washing of work clothes there are set allowances that you can claim
If you are paid a mileage rate below the HMRC rates you can even claim the difference on that

You may have to do a lot of reading or it can be worth paying for a few hours of an accountants time to understand what you can claim for and how to go about it but it can be very worthwhile

Interesting. I had no idea that was even a thing. I do have all the receipts for work related stuff, though I'm not sure I'd want to know what the total is...

Reply to Battery tools. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock