Discuss Becoming an Electrcian- Already 2391! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

fantomcat_2k

Hi, i've just joing the forum and hopefully the community!
But theres a few things i need to clear up...
When i left school i worked as a mechanical Engineering apprentice, this apprenticship was electrically biased, so i had involvement with Conduit Installations, but not loads!, i was made redundant twice in the same year, and subsequently moved on to panel wiring where i kinda stayed.
I have always wanted to work in a domestic setting, where i also have a little bit of experience. I have a 16th edition and a 2391 inspection and testing certificate.

I was also made redundant again before Christmas, and im thinking its about time i when self employed, my reasons for this is the multiple redundancies!

My only query is this... i don't actually have a reconised apprenticeship in an actual Electrical discipline!!!

Where can i go from here, and what do i need to do, also i dont really want to take a 2330 as i have half the knowledge already, and to be honest couldn't afford it right now!!

can i also ask/ mention that i do not have a Part P certification, but i do hold a 2391, is there anything i need to be aware of here?

Oh, also im particularly interested iin doing the inspection and testing, any tips on how to get started, in the domestic setting?

Last edited by a moderator:
as you hold 2391 i would advise a update from 16th to 17th and this will meet the requirements to register with a governing body (part p) and away you go............ good luck

Hey.

I'm afraid I've got to disagree You cant just tell him "do your 17th and away you go"!!!!

You have no underpinning knowledge i.e C&G 2360, 2351, 2330.

You say you have half the knowledge, well what about the other half??. If you cant afford to do a 2330 right now, save up untill you can, it'll benefit you and the people you work for in the long run.

NAPIT wont allow you to join
NICEIC wont allow you to join
ECA wont allow you to join
ELECSA wont allow you to join

Minimum requirement for some of the bodies is the C&G2382 or equivalent.

If you have that along with all insurances etc then cant see there being a problem.

The problem comes when someone wants to update to 17th and has no proof of 16th, as most training centers will want to see previous certificates.

Its the government that stipulate minimum requirements to join. Schemes then decide what they require in addition to.

One scheme that doesn't is ELECSA.

Its the assessment that will catch you out if you are not up to speed on quals and regs.

So what exactly are your views on this Jason? Do you beleive that a guy with a testing qualification and an old 16th is "competant" enough to call homself an electrician with little or no site experience and carry out works on peoples homes??

Dont you think it makes a bit of a mockery of other guys who have years of experience and numerous qualifications under their belts?

Anyone elses views would be welcome.

I dont want to start a war here, am just really interested in peoples views.

Regards

Compromise might be to sub to a company try and be reasonably honest about your ability's.
It's always hard to take steps backwards on the pay scale as you get older

So what exactly are your views on this Jason? Do you beleive that a guy with a testing qualification and an old 16th is "competant" enough to call homself an electrician with little or no site experience and carry out works on peoples homes??

Dont you think it makes a bit of a mockery of other guys who have years of experience and numerous qualifications under their belts?

Anyone elses views would be welcome.

I dont want to start a war here, am just really interested in peoples views.

Regards

Personally i agree with you.

BUT, at least Part P has made (to a certain extent) people become more responsible for their work, whereas before, anyone could do whatever they liked without one thought given to 7671.

Although it will never rid us of all the cowboys, it is a start.

We all have to start some where. At the ripe old age of 23, i decided that the motor indsurty was not for me so, as i had a small amount of experience with electrical work, i enrolled (at my expense) on the 2360 Parts 1,2&3.

This course did no more than the 2330 and i had to gain site experience on my own, although after the first year i was 'employed' by my sister in laws father to help out occasionally when needed.

The one thing that irritates me the most is, for eg, kitchen fitters and the like that do the 5 day course, get full scope, and then become competent to carry out work in a special location, and still do horrendous installs.

Anyways, in essence, there should be a stricter minimum requirement to be able to become registered, but at least Part P is a start.

I agree with Mr Dimmerswitch about the step backwards however, if i wanted to work in IT, i would never get employed on big money as even if i had all the quals, as i had no experience i would start at the bottom and work my way up to, what could be, a very good earning job.

Quote: Anyways, in essence, there should be a stricter minimum requirement to be able to become registered, but at least Part P is a start.

Agreed.

I have always been under the impression that the standard electrical courses had to be obtained i.e. C&G2360, C&G2351, C&G2330 at level 2, 3 before anyone could move on to taking the C&G2391 level 3?

I have always been under the impression that the standard electrical courses had to be obtained i.e. C&G2360, C&G2351, C&G2330 at level 2, 3 before anyone could move on to taking the C&G2391 level 3?

Thats how it worked for me Mr G. I had to do my 2360 parts 1+2 and course C, regs, AM1+AM2 before I was allowed to sit the 2391.

Whilst all that was going on on I also had the pleasure of NVQ 2+3 and key skills exams:(

Hey.

NAPIT wont allow you to join
NICEIC wont allow you to join
ECA wont allow you to join
ELECSA wont allow you to join

er your wrong they will all allow you 2 join with 2382 & 2391 - and anyone with those 2 quals should have enough knowledge to work safely, its domestic electrics not rocket science - there is plenty out there working with no quals or idea he obviously has some knowledge and spending three years doing 2330 wich is made up of rubbish health safety, and calcs you will never use and multiple choice exams a monkey could pass....

No I'm not wrong.

Please visit the websites and read the requirements for enrolement yourself.

Particularly NAPIT and ECA.

Regards.

strange i only provided a copy of 2391 to join and was advised i would need 17th within 12 months of joining
builder i work for just joined nappit with only 17th edition,
friend just joined by doing there two day assesment test with no formal quals...
pretty sure plenty of other examples from all bodies...........

An up to date NAPIT Certificate of Competence NA-A1A5 (Trade Test Certificate valid for 5 years) which is available through the network of NAPIT Training and Assessment centre - which is a free 2 day assesment if you pay to be a member, and is a very simple course compared to 2391 or 3 years of 2330

REGARDS

either way no formal quals are necc to be an electrician and part p is just a money making scam

Reply to Becoming an Electrcian- Already 2391! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock