Discuss being on call over the festivities query in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

elsparko

am i right in thinking that being on call even with no callouts requires extra £?

and would this really count towards my holidays if im on call?

agree. if you're on call, the you're not on holiday.a premium of at least double time should apply.

It depends entirely what your employer set in your T's & C's when you started.

agree. if you're on call, the you're not on holiday.a premium of at least double time should apply.
i will be getting double time on actual callouts, but what about the time/activities im giving up over the xmas/new year to be on call? my last boss used to give £250 a week to anyone willing to take the callouts over xmas, but there was 20 of us there and only 2 of us at the new place i work so not sure if its a legal obligation for employers to pay a "fee" for just being on call even if there are no actual callouts?

The Emplyoer has no legal obligation to pay any extra.
It's up to you to negotiate if nothing is already set.

Do you cover standby the rest of the year?

am i right in thinking that being on call even with no callouts requires extra £?

and would this really count towards my holidays if im on call?
Do you get an "on call allowance" whereby you are paid a retainer for the days you are on call, plus a min of 3 hours @ OT rates per call out?

pretty much, my supervisor resigned (unqualified) and when i pass my FICA it is expected i take over as lead electrician, which suits me fine, im basically on call at the moment but rarely do we get them

pretty much, my supervisor resigned (unqualified) and when i pass my FICA it is expected i take over as lead electrician, which suits me fine, im basically on call at the moment but rarely do we get them
Taking the wee wee aren't they, so does that men you get a phone allowance, or a phone provided? are you expected to be contactable at all times? if yes then you should be paid an on call allowance, if not then, Mr boss go sit on it, as the Fonz would say.

Taking the wee wee aren't they, so does that men you get a phone allowance, or a phone provided? are you expected to be contactable at all times? if yes then you should be paid an on call allowance, if not then, Mr boss go sit on it, as the Fonz would say.
If you are expected to be on call 24/7 you must be tea total, how do you manage that one, if they aren't paying an allowance, no worries, go where you like have a drink, on the other hand if they are paying an allowance, you will need to be careful with your alcohol intake, zero tolerance.

Agree SH but if part of your duties is to be on call, and you don't discuss this at the interview stage, then that will leave you with little option but to tow the line, if it was me, and there was nil allowance for on call, I would politely refuse, but if you are desperate for the job, then what do you do?

When I was working for the PSA they would send a driver to pick the on call guy up, trouble was you had to watch what you drank, especially if you were dealing with anything that required 100% concentration, like switching an HV ring circuit, so in my book an on call allowance would be expected. just saying.

use my own phone, secretary takes the call then calls me on my own phone

use my own phone, secretary takes the call then calls me on my own phone
What would be the consequences if you were drunk unable to drive, or in a different part of the country at your Parents house or something similar?

Reply to being on call over the festivities query in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock