Discuss Best Quinetic Dimmable Combo in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 112675

I received some great advice on another thread where I was advised by many to buy Quinetic. I'm liking the look of the dimmable receiver and switch. Is it any good? They'll be powering downlight leds.

Also what are your favourite led gu10s and from the point of view of dimmable does it matter about the downlight fitting? If I went cheap and got some from say Toolstation (e.g. Toolstation 18041 ) would they all pop in a few months?

Lastly, I think the dimmable is only 1A load. These days, do I still have to assume someone could get a 50watt gu10 and stick it in the fitting? Or is say 10watt per fitting more reasonable? I've got a biggish room......

Appreciate your thoughts :D

I received some great advice on another thread where I was advised by many to buy Quinetic. I'm liking the look of the dimmable receiver and switch. Is it any good? They'll be powering downlight leds.

Also what are your favourite led gu10s and from the point of view of dimmable does it matter about the downlight fitting? If I went cheap and got some from say Toolstation (e.g. Toolstation 18041 ) would they all pop in a few months?

Lastly, I think the dimmable is only 1A load. These days, do I still have to assume someone could get a 50watt gu10 and stick it in the fitting? Or is say 10watt per fitting more reasonable? I've got a biggish room......

Appreciate your thoughts :D
but integrated LED downlighters, e.g. JCC V50. you can't change bulbs and also you can select colour temp. another + is that they only need 2" clearance above and can be covered in insulation if some daft builder has stuffed it in.

But it does add the issue of if the internal lamp dies, then there's presumably no way of replacement without changing the fitting (is lumiere the correct term?)

I've seen the enlite 8 is also praised? I guess that gives me two to go on assuming integrated is way to go which it seems to be. Calculated I'd need 9 of these on my biggest receiver.

I can only reiterate what I have said a few times...the dimmable receivers are not 100% compatible with some LED fittings.
I ordered some LED ceiling panels with dimmable function receivers to work with them, and they were erratic. i asked the supplier about this, they spoke to the manufacturer and that was the reply I got...not 100% compatible with some LED fittings.
They replaced the dimmable units with non-dimmable, FOC and all was well. If the dimmable aspect is crucial, may I suggest you ask the question?
I got all my gear from TLC, and they were very quick to answer my query.

THanks Pirate so need to be careful. Dimmable is important for me. Do you know already what gu10 kit works well with the receivers?

Forgot to ask one other hopefully not too stupid a question. Does the "silver" switches look ok? Are they similar to any other metal like switch (chrome or brushed this or that) or are they obviously painted plastic and look crap?

I know quinetic make a grid module that fits I think mk, they look like a normal switch, bit more aesthetically pleasing to look at than the normal square ones, not sure if they work with the Wi-Fi controller as I haven't fitted any with that unit!

I really like the idea of the Quinetic kits.
The only thing I don't like about them are the look of the switches. Why don't they have a light switch that looks like a standard light switch rather than a switch that takes up the whole area?

E8 enlite fittings are good but deeper unit than the JCC ones tel linked to.
Yes once the lamp is gone the fitting has to be replaced, they used to come with a 5 year guarantee, not used them for a while though so that may have changed!

I haven't fitted dimmable to GU10, so I can't advise on that, sorry. They work fine with non-dimmable, obviously.
I have only fitted the white switches, so again can't comment on the look of the others.

Hmm so ideally for two banks of lights I'd get 2xdimmable receiver (2 x £42.60) plus 2xmk compatible chrome grid switches (2x£21)

That comes to £127.20 + p&p. That is pretty eye watering for a double gang switch !

They may seem expensive, and for a simple installation they probably are, but in the majority of instances I have used them, they save chasing walls for switch drops, or using surface mounted conduit, and you can change your mind about where to locate the switches, and you can add extra switches, all without having to wire them in.
Customers hate the idea of chasing their decorated/papered walls, the dust and general upheaval, so the extra cost is justified, as is the cost saving compared with hours of labour, which always adds a lot to the final bill.

Yes I do understand the main point about time is money for electricians. As a DIYer my time is free but I still think a kinetic switch is a very good idea for me for many reasons (ease of compliance and flexibility to another switch). So v grateful for the forum pointing me towards that.

I suppose my point is that they are very much more expensive than the brandless ones. I think I costed up some dimmerable but not wifi switches with two receivers and that came to about £88 so maybe not that bad.

Might just have to suck it up.

"Dimmerable"?
I love that!
I suspect the brandless ones might not have any backup?
TLC have always "supported" the Quinetic ones, so i like that.
Yes, as a DIYer your time is free, but I am similar and hate the thought of cleaning up after raggling the plasterwork, then plastering, then redecorating...
Lazy ba****d, me!

Thought I'd update my thread since I bought the cheap curv ones that are on ebay for about 4 quid each.

I've haven't tested them yet and I might not because the switches themselves are not great. What did I expect for £4 ? ANyway, there is a lot of play on the rocker itself and big letters "CURV" written at the top.

Do the quinetic feel good even if they are plastic ?

The quinetic ones are ok they do feel a bit flimsy but I haven't had anyone complain about that yet tbh. They have just bought out some new grid module units, their old grid units felt and looked a lot more professional than the standard stick on one's imho

I agree the normal rocker switches are a tad on the flimsy side, but not under-engineered, and I've had no failures yet. I did try to take one apart, and it was not an easy task, so i feel they are up to the task.
I have stuck some on, but I prefer to screw them to the wall, or use the adaptor to connect them to a back box.

So just bought 2 mk grid switches and a 2xreceiver in one unit. Cost £66 which isn't that bad.
mk surround I'll get later.
Just one thought, does that mean I need to chase out for a back box if I want the mk grid switch to be reasonable flush to the wall (even though no wires !!!) ?

Reply to Best Quinetic Dimmable Combo in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock