Discuss Best RCBO consumer unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Oh dear god. Hopefully the OP has the required info as this, like so many threads, has been derailed. I read through just waiting for that first comment. Maybe, just maybe the OP, like all of us, is entitled to do what the hell he wants. Sad.

I think you need a more experienced electrician, he should be able to give you all the options available and the pros and cons..
Fully populated RCBO boards aren’t rare, just not the most popular.
Have you discussed type A and type AC with him yet?
I don’t think your choice of analogy is a good one.

Oh dear god. Hopefully the OP has the required info as this, like so many threads, has been derailed. I read through just waiting for that first comment. Maybe, just maybe the OP, like all of us, is entitled to do what the hell he wants. Sad.
Cheers. Appreciate the comment, it’s always sad when forums have people commenting like that. If I was asking about doing notifiable work without being competent then I would expect that sort of thing, but this is different.

I think I do have what I need and it’s useful to speak to people that deal with this day in day out. The people I work with only use Schneider acti9 for commercial building services and this is not within my price range.

I’ll go back through the thread tonight and use the info for when I do get the work done so thanks to everybody

Have I said anything offensive? No.

I have given my perspective of the situation, maybe have a little think about what you are doing.. If I was asked to install a consumer unit for an incompetent person I would hope they would have faith in me..
If that person then said he was going to do his own research and ask advice from other electricians; how do you think that would make me feel?

Does that sort of thing happen to you in your profession?

It's just part of the process on here. Unfortunately it is disruptive, detracts from the original enquiry and leads to debates about unrelated matters. There are people willing to help as you've found already but I think they are put off when this kind if negativity comes along. If you're in the clique, you're unaffected by forum rules.

I think you need a more experienced electrician, he should be able to give you all the options available and the pros and cons..
Fully populated RCBO boards aren’t rare, just not the most popular.
Have you discussed type A and type AC with him yet?
I don’t think your choice of analogy is a good one.

It is in context of the question I’m asking. I’m not asking detailed design comments on the type of RCD I’m asking about the general board design, aesthetics, quality, equipment availability, price etc. Those are things I need to live with, not my electrician, hence why I’m seeking additional and broader advice.

Presumably I can get a, ac and b RCBOs regardless of supplier so it doesn’t influence me on which board I ask him to fit.

i've fitted a couple of the BG boards with compact RCBOs. only gripe was that the positioning of the din rail is critical ( there's a bit of lstto get the lid on right, and there's 2 fixing screws covered by RCBOs, so you need to get it right before populating/fixing the busbar.

there's 2 sides to this thread.
1.OP wants input on what he will be happy with.
2. the electrician who installs it will have some preferences.
..... end of the day, needs OP to discuss with sparks so both are happy.

Have I said anything offensive? No.

I have given my perspective of the situation, maybe have a little think about what you are doing.. If I was asked to install a consumer unit for an incompetent person I would hope they would have faith in me..
If that person then said he was going to do his own research and ask advice from other electricians; how do you think that would make me feel?

Does that sort of thing happen to you in your profession?
Yes of course it does. If I believed everything that contractors said I wouldn’t have a job. There’s only a limited amount of objectivity in most answers. It’s my money and he has already agreed that he doesn’t have a strong preference and my personality includes the need to verify decisions so therefore it’s likely I will specify the board manufacturer. He’s not upset that I’m involved in the decision any more than when I specified the various lighting controls I wanted when he did some lighting work for me.

If your customer spends his working life around LV and HV electrical equipment, turbines and boilers, it would be odd, in my experience, for them not to want to have a significant involvement in work of this type.

Offensive? No, but I didn’t say that. Unhelpful? Probably.

As an example of the problem with relying on one person’s opinion, this thread has people saying Wylex, hager, MK etc as their preferred boards. If I had asked the electrician who said MK to do the consumer unit replacement he would presumably have advised MK. Should I accept that and tell him to get on with it or rely on the numerous posts on here saying that MK is not the best board?

another ting to consider is this..... your electrician will have his preferences and for the boards he usually installs will have spare RCBOs, and have a rapport with suppliers as if anything goes wrong, replacements will be readily available. that's related to my post ~28

another ting to consider is this..... your electrician will have his preferences and for the boards he usually installs will have spare RCBOs, and have a rapport with suppliers as if anything goes wrong, replacements will be readily available. that's related to my post ~28
Understood. I’m sure if I ask him to install something he knows nothing about then he might challenge it.

Again thanks for everybody’s help I think I have enough to short list.

I've fitted Hager, Wylex and BG boards (all RCBOs). BG I will not do again, mostly due to critical alignment of the modules with the lid, the DIN rail is just too flexible so unless your incoming tails are tensioned just right in the main switch (not pushing it down too much, and not pulling it up too much) there's always difficulty closing the lid. It sounds a trivial thing, but its enough to make me say "never again!"

Hager boards are good, the quirkiness with the square knockouts notwithstanding. I tend to find all the action is on the right hand side (particularly with SPD fitted) leaving some bits cramped, other bits with loads of space. But very happy with the quality - rigid DIN rail, not problem fitting the lid, earth/neutral bars not made of cheese etc. Can easily insert/remove MCBs/RCBOs without affecting the busbar. Type A RCBOs, and can get bare boards supplied with a type 2 SPD.

I've recently started fitting Wylex boards (the "new look" NMX14S) with SPD, these are very nice, with good space inside; again, good rigid DIN rail. The only design niggle I don't like is you have to knock the (round) knockouts out from the inside outwards. This is fine when swapping the board, but if you're later adding to a populated board, it turns a simple job of adding another circuit (without going through the rear knockout) into a more complicated job (unless I'm missing a trick? maybe hitting them sideways with a screwdriver?). Like the SBS boards (which I've not used), the Wylex have switched neutral (type A) RCBOs - if used on a TT earthing system, it's a no-brainer. They're a tiny bit dearer than the equivalent Hager boards (from my wholesaler) but they're growing on me, after being a Hager fan for a while.

Hope that helps :)

Electricians are a bit like economists ... ask 10 for opinions and you’ll probably get 8 different answers

My view on customers supplying parts .... my day rate rises and I charge extra for every minute wasted if all the parts aren’t correct.

When I do a CU change, I supply the kit AND I take my spares box with me too so I can adapt or change what is required depending on what I find inside the existing unit .... without leaving site and wasting time or money

Electricians are a bit like economists ... ask 10 for opinions and you’ll probably get 8 different answers

My view on customers supplying parts .... my day rate rises and I charge extra for every minute wasted if all the parts aren’t correct.

When I do a CU change, I supply the kit AND I take my spares box with me too so I can adapt or change what is required depending on what I find inside the existing unit .... without leaving site and wasting time or money

I can understand OP's view point here. He's after an installation of a particular product, be it a CU, washing machine, tv, mobile phone, artificial grass etc etc. Wants advice on the best product, dull as it is with a consumer unit. Why can't he canvas views here, without the 'ask your electrician' responce etc etc.

If cost isn't a option then my preference is Wylex .. However I've recently been installing Lewden RCBO boards with surge protection as the cost has been considerably cheaper than Hager & Wylex.
Lewden offer A type RCBOs but they are not included in their populated boards. I don't think MK offer A type RCBOs yet they also don't offer surge protection devices.

Cheers. Appreciate the comment, it’s always sad when forums have people commenting like that. If I was asking about doing notifiable work without being competent then I would expect that sort of thing, but this is different.

I think I do have what I need and it’s useful to speak to people that deal with this day in day out. The people I work with only use Schneider acti9 for commercial building services and this is not within my price range.

I’ll go back through the thread tonight and use the info for when I do get the work done so thanks to everybody
If you are on a budget try contactum. For any customers on a tight budget who want a full rcbo board I always use them around 9-12 quid per rcbo depending on where you go and consumer units feel good quality. Always been surprised at the quality of them

Late to the party as ever....
OP, if you’re still looking for opinions, I have to thank you for mentioning SBS. I’d never heard of them before. I’ve been banging on for a while that a neutral bus bar adjacent to the line bus bar is surely the way forward. So good for you. And if I were your electrician, I’d be quite happy for you to supply whatever equipment you choose: your gaff, your rules (and your risk, but you’re smart enough to have worked that out already).
FWIW I’ve been quite happily installing Lewden pre-populated RCBO consumer units for some time now, and they’re fine. If budget allowed I’d probably use Hager or Schneider or Wylex or Crabtree (or SBS) but generally it doesn’t. The reduced-height DP A type devices offered by some of the above offer distinct advantages not offered by the Lewden too. I tend to steer clear of MK nowadays as the price:quality ratio has plummeted IMO.
I’ll be interested to know what you choose in the end.
Good luck!!!!

Reply to Best RCBO consumer unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock