Discuss Best Value/Brand tools for when just starting out in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
alright guys! :sunglasses:

I've been looking at getting myself a decent tool bag/kit that I can take with me to college/site with me old man etc

Anyhow I have been looking online and there is so much to choose from and a real variation of pricing.

I already have draper snips, wiha drivers, spirit level, tape measure etc etc but want a bigger kit. My dad keeps offering me some of his stuff but I want to stand on my own two feet and buy my own if that makes sense :laughing:

I see screwfix keep pushing this magnusson brand (guessing own make?) and have a 98 piece kit for £80 but I don't know what the quality of their stuff is like? Any tips would be appreciated!

have a look in wickes for lower priced tools. but my advice would be to build up kit bit at a time. buy tools you really need as you find you need them.. CK, Knipex, NWS etc.are made to last for years

I wouldn't bother buying a set, a lot of it you won't use and won't be the best quality, instead build your own set as you need the tools and spend that little extra on each item of better quality
Apart from loss and theft, buying cheap tools is in my opinion a mistake.
Buy to last, buy cheap and you will regret it, buy what you need when you can afford it, and look after what you buy.

join screwfix's electricfix trade thing, just take your payslip and a letter from your work. they will give you 10% off first order and a few weeks later youll get 4 or 5 vouchers through 4 for £10 off any purchase and one for £20 of any purchase, so if the tool is £11, you would get it for £1... well worth it as it will save you a good lump.
Personally i have found some of the titan and erbauer stuff from screwfix quite good, the titan wall chaser has proven itself quite good.

Magnusson = carp IMHO. I bought a couple of their bits many years back and it lasted around two months. It looks flashy, but that's about it. Go for CK as others have said; decent prices and hard wearing. For drivers I would go for Wiha. Had my last set ages now and they are still going strong. The Wera diamond tipped jobbies are like butter in comparison.
My latest tool is the Knipex 'dismantling tool'. If you deal with a lot of flex it's invaluable.

Depends on your budget, I buy the Knipex cutters and associated tools, whia screwdrivers were my norm, but have purchased armeg recently as they do great kits, toolbags are always Veto nowadays but expensive to start, but carry a 5 year no quibble warranty

Knipex plies, cutters etc . Wiha or irizola screwdrivers , fluke volt/ conti tester . Personally I've never rated CK just don't seem same quality as knipex

Knipex plies, cutters etc . Wiha or irizola screwdrivers , fluke volt/ conti tester . Personally I've never rated CK just don't seem same quality as knipex
You will of course need a proving unit for safe isolation purposes, I recommend Martindale voltage indicator and proving unit, or John Drumond VI and PU

For the tools that you use the most buy the best you can afford but you also need to handle them to see if you can work with them, as an apprentice I bought a pair of Elliot Lucas pliers which I still have after 35 years don't use them much as the insulation has worn but they where handy as after cutting through a live cable in a ceiling void the burnt out hole was handy for stripping cables.

If you are self employed which I believe you won't be then any expense related to work is deductible from your tax bill.

I made the mistake of buying cheap as an apprentice and ended up replacing literally all of it as time went by.

I now usually just buy CK for hand tools and they seem to last well. Can you not speak to your wholesaler? Mine always hook me up great deals on CK stuff.

Reply to Best Value/Brand tools for when just starting out in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock