Discuss Beware of other electrcians on site !!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chocolate

Interesting situation occured at work.

Had to do some minor works to power circuits and lighting circuits on a caravan park plot. Had the fuse board turned off ( vacant plot ) whilst doing works. Another firm of electricians turned up to change the electric meter. They proceeded in telling us ( that was fine ) that power would be going off for a short time. They switched off the main isolator feeding the meter ( and fuseboard ) and proceeded to replace the meter. My work was done. I waited to hear he had switched the power back on, only to discover a L-N reversal at the supply side of the main switch. I double checked it to be sure this was the case with a visual inspection and anotehr test instrument. The other electrician was packing his gear away and virtually ready to drive off when I informed him of this dangerous situation - one which was absent prior to his works, but now present.
He joked about it all - yeah, really funny mate - and took 20 minutes to find his mistake.
He hadn't identified any cables before removing the old meter, and consequently got them muddled up. He didn't identify cables before installation, and didn't test any of his work following the completion of work.

I would name the company but that would be very unprofessional !!!!!!

So what lessons can be learned from this behaviour from so-called professionals ??????? :mad:

It could be wise to report the sparks that left this mess in the mean time you should be claiming a bonus for spotting the error ;)

And what's funny is my gov didn't give a monkeys about it. No thanks or anything !!!! :(

Got to look after yourself at all times when working. Trust no-one.

There will always be a "them and us" existance. As long as we do our best, correctly and safely thats all that matters.

Let the others get on with whatever it is they do knowing that we can sleep safely at night.

If they are NICEIC member then report the danger this put you and others in, had you not been on the ball this could have tarnished your name too as you was the onsite electrician at the time.

Made me think about my colleagues. Not all of them carry test instruments, so is their worked tested for safety? Who knows !!!

Don't know about you guys, but I find that too many electricians find it more important to do a speedy job rather than a thorough job. I know which is more important to me, and my customers !!!!

:)

Reply to Beware of other electrcians on site !!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net