Discuss Biggggg Problem co aux tv aerial in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Michaelgell

Just renovated my house and had the whole house rewired and asked the sparky to put in some aerial sockets around the house.. had it all plastered and decorated and tried tuning in the TVs for no channels to be found.. after some investigating i noticed the new co aux cables outside that is attached to the aerial on the roof says RG58/U.. turns out this is a 50 ohm cable for radio, cctv etc.. is there anyway to get my tv (freeview) signal through this cable? Should it at least find one channel? Could it be the old aerial on the roof? Please help

Hi - yes RG58 is a 50ohm cable intended more for tx/rx (e.g. CB radio) and 75ohm cable is normally used for rx (e.g. TV, FM). They look similar but have slightly different internal dimensions which changes their impedance at radio frequencies. They have different losses (yep, the 50 ohm one is usually worst) and there is an additional loss from putting a 50ohm cable onto the antenna balun that expects 75ohm and at the TV etc. Having said all that, it should be possible to get your TV signal through it, but it will be reduced in amplitude. So it will depend on length of coax, your antenna, the signal level in your area etc. If you aren't getting any signals at all, I suspect there may be other probs. Maybe the coax is not correctly joined somewhere or if you've got an amplifier in the loft it's been left disconnected etc. Can you get him back to look into the problem? BTW a common coax for tv is RG6, which is 75 ohm and costs about ÂŁ16 for 100m at Screwfix. All the best, David.

Reply to Biggggg Problem co aux tv aerial in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net