Discuss Bizarre Wiring And Readings Through Upstairs Windows in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gemma

Hi

I don't know if anyone can help, but I'm very grateful to anyone who can provide input. I won't go into the full story, but my windows upstairs appear to have an electrical current running through them.

It's only the windows upstairs.

They also set off a radio frequency detector.

Even if the fuse box is powered off, they still give an electrical reading.

It is not a home security system. Just bog standard double glazing.

The house was re-wired (not by me) and the electrician I had over recently noted what a mess it was and the upstairs and downstairs aren't on seperate circuits.

I have a photo, but I can't attatch it. It shows the window handle giving off a 12v reading, the same as my power points.

I also have a video of the windows setting off the radio frequency detector.

My friend, a glazer, came over and used a thermal imaging camera and we noticed the windows had unusual hot spots on the frames.

I have a feeling it may be being used for some kind of surveillance system that I am unaware of.

Very weird question I know, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i's first suspect an earthing fault. might even be a neighbour's house. a competent electrician should be able to sort this issue.

@telectrix would not turning off the fuse box stop this giving a reading then?

I'm unsure as to how it could be related to my neighbours. Can you elaborate for me please (in simple terms, I know very little about electrics, bar basic wiring). The house was rewired a couple of years back.

@telectrix would not turning off the fuse box stop this giving a reading then?

I'm unsure as to how it could be related to my neighbours. Can you elaborate for me please (in simple terms, I know very little about electrics, bar basic wiring). The house was rewired a couple of years back.
Do you live near any a HV power lines

as neighbouring houses are commonly connected to the mass of earth, along with yours, a fault in one could affect another. there could also be a poor connection in the supply, maybe underground. there's several possibilities.

or it's aliens from Mars. they passed through the Milky Way, fond it sickly, tried the planet Snickers, but found that they had a nut allergy, so ended up here, buggering about with your windows. :D:D:p:p:mad:

as neighbouring houses are commonly connected to the mass of earth, along with yours, a fault in one could affect another. there could also be a poor connection in the supply, maybe underground. there's several possibilities.

or it's aliens from Mars. they passed through the Milky Way, fond it sickly, tried the planet Snickers, but found that they had a nut allergy, so ended up here, buggering about with your windows. :D:D:p:p:mad:
LOL! That would be the preferred answer!

Do you get a similar reading from the screws in you upstairs light switches.
( The device you are using is very sensitive - 12V Harmless 50V more problematic )
If you comb you hair ,rub a balloon ,it can find static electricity !
(if readings vary between people it may be shoes/carpet related)

Voltage on its own, without an associated current, is not an indication of a problem. Any odd piece of metal that is not deliberately earthed, can take up a random voltage to earth (which is what that tester is displaying, approximately. Actually between the contact tip and you). As Zap says, the tester is very sensitive and will detect the voltage even when there is no capability for any current to flow. And voltage without current does not constitute electrical power, so there is no indication here that any practical measurable amount of power could flow from the window frame or the earth connections. Indeed when you comb your hair you may be producing thousands of volts of static electricity, but it doesn't set your hair on fire because there's no current.

Plus, these testers are notoriously unreliable. We cannot say from here that there is no fault with your wiring but so far there is no useful evidence of one. If you take a measurement
from the window to earth, using a proper multimeter, you will almost certainly get a reading of zero volts.

why not? upvc is the creation of the devil, along with weetabix floors, dot & dab, and roof trusses. who's to say that the devil has not introduced a phantom voltage to scare god-fearing peasants.

I found phantoms attempting to escape with one of those
(£Land) sticks from a cable hiding in plaster !
(like a recent directive for 220V not 110V volt sticks ,
it is possible to be too sensitive )

Reply to Bizarre Wiring And Readings Through Upstairs Windows in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net