Discuss Bleed valves on electric towel rails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Meant to say these are prefilled full of water/inhibitor so turned upside down to fit element. They come with 4 x blanks installed but do have a bleed valve in the pack which I'm guessing is for CH systems

No there is no need for air bleeds, yes you do normally leave some air space and they normally have some sort of corrosion inhibitor added to the water.
Thanks Dave was writing at the same time. Customer is questioning me and I have said that it's a closed system so no point in bleeding as no way to top back up

Meant to say these are prefilled full of water/inhibitor so turned upside down to fit element. They come with 4 x blanks installed but do have a bleed valve in the pack which I'm guessing is for CH systems
Yes, but in 5 years time, when the element fails, someone will need to drain down the rad and replace the element. Then refill the radiator from the top. It's somewhat inconvenient to have to take the whole enchilada off the wall to do this.

Think he thinks they will explode

It might explode if it is completely full with no air cushion. Or implode if all the air is bled out when it's hot.

Yes, but in 5 years time, when the element fails, someone will need to drain down the rad and replace the element. Then refill the radiator from the top. It's somewhat inconvenient to have to take the whole enchilada off the wall to do this.

Assuming the element is short enough to do this without taking it off the wall then a bleed valve will be of no use, you can't refill it through a bleed valve.

When replacing these elements I've always taken the towel rail off the wall and turned it upside down to avoid having to drain and refill it.

I'm talking purely from a safety point of view, to do what your suggesting would require a bleed valve on the bottom of the towel rad as a drainage point which imho isn't really what they are designed for. I can see leeks in the future but stand corrected if this isn't what you mean

The usual (not already filled) radiators come with blanking plugs for three corners and a bleed valve for the forth (top corner).

If you need to refill/top up later on, then you can do this through the blanking plug at the top of the rad. To drain, remove the blank plug on one of the bottom corners.

Of course, if it's a dual fuel rad (CH + electric) then you'll have the usual lockshields, etc on the bottom corners.

Thinking about it,there must be provision for failed stat,so wonder what that is? PRV plug? The early oil filled radiators had a designed rupture point,which limited grandma,getting deep fried...

Reply to Bleed valves on electric towel rails in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net