Discuss Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I do believe everyone that voted to leave thought it was going to be a seamless transition. Nothing would change, we would just be out the EU.

Naive? Possibly.... Lack of information? Probably.
I never believed it would be easy exiting europe.
Resistance by Europe and our own parliament was inevitable. They would try to stop it or block it or be as aukward as possible Because deep down they do not believe in democracy.

after all europe is an un elected body so democracy is the last thing they want.

Look what happened when democracy raised its ugly head. We voted leave.

we were conned into joining in the first place. we were told that trade with EU would be good. no import tariffs. so why did the price of smokes and booze not drop to EU levels? nope. same import tax as before. now we are out, same as before. and that's not to mention the EU's policy of letting food rot to inflate prices and pay bone idle french farmers with 1 cow and a goat to sit on their arses and do nothing

I do believe everyone that voted to leave thought it was going to be a seamless transition. Nothing would change, we would just be out the EU.

Yep, my main concern was the economic model and the thought of subsidising an ever increasing number of nations joining plus a flood of immigrants. What I didn’t understand was that we already had an advantage sat outside the Euro and as a sovereign state we also had control of our borders and chose not to. Still, as the economy crashes, no one will want to come here now anyway. ?

First, I don, t do politics, but sorry to see you all go, (that includes those who wanted to and those who did, nt)

Second, when the spuds are ready to go, just give me a shout. I like 'em "floury" by the way!!!
prefer mine as chips to go with sirloin. maris pipers are the best, but could cope with king eddies at a push.

Do you know how hard it is to breed pedigree haggis?

That’s why there’s only a short hunting season (January) and we only have enough to feed the Scots.

People forget that this breed of Haggis lay Scotch eggs, which is a delicacy in many pubs.

Who will protect the status of the haggis now?

In the EU we had protection for this as well as Cornish pasties and Stornoway black pudding etc

People forget that this breed of Haggis lay Scotch eggs, which is a delicacy in many pubs.

Who will protect the status of the haggis now?

In the EU we had protection for this as well as Cornish pasties and Stornoway black pudding etc
fair comment, but atl least the frogggies and spanioles won't be allowed to poach your haggis any more. you can have the Scottish navy patrolling the haggis grounds. (at least after they done trying to find Nessie in Loch whatever).

I think you have a total misconception of the majority of leave voters based on the media's portrayal of a selective few...

Other than a few small hiccoughs which were predicted and expected, can you tell me what so far is evidence Brexit was a big mistake...

Maybe the fact that over 90% of the scaremongering predictions of what would happen have not, the fact we got a deal we were told was impossible, maybe the fact we now have full access to the Single market without the crippling membership fee or the miles of red tape we had to follow as part of the membership rules.

I post this on the day Japan invest billions in the UK car industry and battery technology plants because it see's the UK's new position in the world as a positive and bright future, not to mention that the UK had 1600+ requests from EU companies to move to the UK or open offices up here, think about the jobs and tax revenue for that.
All I still see is the mainstream media clutching at any tiny negative story to justify 4yrs of biased and they are simply falling flat on their faces, several MSM companies hanging around France and Dover post brexit to announce they were spot on only to find thing srunning smoothly, non existent queues to report on...

You can tell the desperation to make it look like a bad decision when the headlines are about a overzealous customs official taking the ---- out of EU rules and taking pack lunches away, a issue that was resolved in a day BTW or the couple who were not allowed on a flight, turned out to be incorrect details, a error on the airlines side...

Please list me all these negative and I will happily list the positive like our Exit from Erasmus which has save the UK over 250million a year and instead on 10,000 students it helped we set up a scheme called Turin that helps 35,000 to educate across the globe not just the EU and we are still 200 million better off... exactly where was that money going originally ?

fair comment, but atl least the frogggies and spanioles won't be allowed to poach your haggis any more. you can have the Scottish navy patrolling the haggis grounds. (at least after they done trying to find Nessie in Loch whatever).
Found Nessie!

I think you have a total misconception of the majority of leave voters based on the media's portrayal of a selective few...

Other than a few small hiccoughs which were predicted and expected, can you tell me what so far is evidence Brexit was a big mistake...

Maybe the fact that over 90% of the scaremongering predictions of what would happen have not, the fact we got a deal we were told was impossible, maybe the fact we not have full access to the Single market without the crippling membership fee or the miles of red tape we had to follow as part of the membership rules.

I post this on the day Japan invest billions in the UK car industry and battery technology plants because it see's the UK's new position in the world as a positive and bright future, not to mention that the UK had 1600+ requests from EU companies to move to the UK or open offices up here, think about the jobs and tax revenue for that.
All I still see is the mainstream media clutching at any tiny negative story to justify 4yrs of biased and they are simply falling flat on their faces, several MSM companies hanging around France and Dover post brexit to announce they were spot on only to find thing srunning smoothly, non existent queues to report on...

You can tell the desperation to make it look like a bad decision when the headlines are about a overzealous customs official taking the ---- out of EU rules and taking pack lunches away, a issue that was resolved in a day BTW or the couple who were not allowed on a flight, turned out to be incorrect details, a error on the airlines side...

Please list me all these negative and I will happily list the positive like our Exit from Erasmus which has save the UK over 250million a year and instead on 10,000 students it helped we set up a scheme called Turin that helps 35,000 to educate across the globe not just the EU and we are still 200 million better off... exactly where was that money going originally ?
can't say i'm up to date with all that, but great to see some +ve points re brexit. i voted leave, same as i voted against the buggers back in c. 1972. we are a nation, not a subservient state. like Poland, and a few others, was to USSR back in the day. the EU has become today's version of the USSR. corrupt money grabbing bar stewards. good riddance.

Maybe the fact that over 90% of the scaremongering predictions of what would happen have not, the fact we got a deal we were told was impossible, maybe the fact we now have full access to the Single market without the crippling membership fee or the miles of red tape we had to follow as part of the membership rules.

Darkwood, as usual you make an interesting, but far too long a post to be able to respond to in a way that would be succinct and easy to read without boring people senseless.
So I’ll just respond to one of your points, but by all means I’m happy to respond to others if you want, also I do not disagree with all you say.

Erasmus, this is an excellent scheme that has been taken advantage of by British students nigh on 30 years. For most students it was their first time working or studying abroad and is a fantastic opportunity for the youngsters to gain knowledge, make friends and take in the culture of Europe.
There was a financial benefit to this country as visiting students contributed over £400 million to the economy. So although there was a cost it was not as straightforward as you suggest.
Whilst I’m sure the Turing project will also be a good thing, it has one major flaw from what I can see and that’s distance. America and Australia are a long way away, a one or two hour hop over to the continent is a bit different to a 24 flight to Australia, and for sure, it will be a bit more expensive than a £30 flight to Milan for example.
This is a concern because working class students from poorer families will be far less likely to take up Turing because of this. Of course kids from richer families will be far better placed to take advantage.

I’d better stop now, I’ve already waffled for too long.

can't say i'm up to date with all that, but great to see some +ve points re brexit. i voted leave, same as i voted against the buggers back in c. 1972. we are a nation, not a subservient state. like Poland, and a few others, was to USSR back in the day. the EU has become today's version of the USSR. corrupt money grabbing bar stewards. good riddance.
Tel. I have to disagree. We were part of a group, a trading block and had a say in how it operated. We have had 40 odd years of anti - EU propaganda. We are now under the control of an extremely corrupt government and manipulated press. We’ve cut our nose off to spite our face. If you want to go back to power cuts, high inflation and Dagenham dustbins the fair enough. We’ve now got 20+ years or more to negotiate back to where we were. Name one single advantage of Brexit?

Darkwood, as usual you make an interesting, but far too long a post to be able to respond to in a way that would be succinct and easy to read without boring people senseless.
So I’ll just respond to one of your points, but by all means I’m happy to respond to others if you want, also I do not disagree with all you say.

Erasmus, this is an excellent scheme that has been taken advantage of by British students nigh on 30 years. For most students it was their first time working or studying abroad and is a fantastic opportunity for the youngsters to gain knowledge, make friends and take in the culture of Europe.
There was a financial benefit to this country as visiting students contributed over £400 million to the economy. So although there was a cost it was not as straightforward as you suggest.
Whilst I’m sure the Turing project will also be a good thing, it has one major flaw from what I can see and that’s distance. America and Australia are a long way away, a one or two hour hop over to the continent is a bit different to a 24 flight to Australia, and for sure, it will be a bit more expensive than a £30 flight to Milan for example.
This is a concern because working class students from poorer families will be far less likely to take up Turing because of this. Of course kids from richer families will be far better placed to take advantage.

I’d better stop now, I’ve already waffled for too long.
You are correct, I have a bad habit of writing an essay simply because I think and write fast.

With regards to Erasmus, you make some goods points but fail in my mind to appreciate that the Turin scheme still allows access to Europe like the Erasmus has 25,000 more students to benefit and consequently the Economy from this will be stimulated to an estimated 1.5billion as opposed to 400million, you can choose your destination which opens the field to many more subjects and studies.
I'll reiterate that just to be a member of Erasmus was 250million a year then we had to fund 10,000 students upto 4k for studies, we are effectively saving 200 million, opening the opportunities to global studies and thus expanding on subject that can be taken given there are many fields of science and job opportunities that are not reflected in EU student opportunities.

Erasmus was a major angle the remainers used expressing our students are going to lose out massively and most of the MSM played that narrative, here we are with a very different outcome, in fact 3 fold better +.

Tel. I have to disagree. We were part of a group, a trading block and had a say in how it operated. We have had 40 odd years of anti - EU propaganda. We are now under the control of an extremely corrupt government and manipulated press. We’ve cut our nose off to spite our face. If you want to go back to power cuts, high inflation and Dagenham dustbins the fair enough. We’ve now got 20+ years or more to negotiate back to where we were. Name one single advantage of Brexit?

Blimey Alan, you've made some claims there. Whilst I agree with a lot of what you say, I'm not sure about the power cuts, inflation and Dagenham dustbin claims. I also don't think we will be going back into the EU, although I'm sure we will be applying to rejoin the single market relatively soon as well as the customs union.

As for naming a single advantage of brexit, I can't, at least not a tangible one. But it's what we voted for, so there we have it.

You are correct, I have a bad habit of writing an essay simply because I think and write fast.

With regards to Erasmus, you make some goods points but fail in my mind to appreciate that the Turin scheme still allows access to Europe like the Erasmus has 25,000 more students to benefit and consequently the Economy from this will be stimulated to an estimated 1.5billion as opposed to 400million, you can choose your destination which opens the field to many more subjects and studies.
I'll reiterate that just to be a member of Erasmus was 250million a year then we had to fund 10,000 students upto 4k for studies, we are effectively saving 200 million, opening the opportunities to global studies and thus expanding on subject that can be taken given there are many fields of science and job opportunities that are not reflected in EU student opportunities.

Erasmus was a major angle the remainers used expressing our students are going to lose out massively and most of the MSM played that narrative, here we are with a very different outcome, in fact 3 fold better +.
Erasmus was never really threatened Dave, in fact Johnson said himself that we would not come out of Erasmus, he lied.
It’s the same as all the Brexit 'benefits’ not real. Yes of course students can still study in European universities, but it’s now not a right and requires visas and other hoops to jump through. Also they have obviously lost the EU erasmus funding.
Also the argument you make re still being able to study in Europe was always the case with American, Australian and other countries universities.

Sad to say, our students have missed out massively, it's a real shame. I know you disagree with this, we'll have to see how Turing turns out, hopefully well.

Blimey Alan, you've made some claims there. Whilst I agree with a lot of what you say, I'm not sure about the power cuts, inflation and Dagenham dustbin claims. I also don't think we will be going back into the EU, although I'm sure we will be applying to rejoin the single market relatively soon as well as the customs union.

As for naming a single advantage of brexit, I can't, at least not a tangible one. But it's what we voted for, so there we have it.
Yes, made after a few beers, just to emphasise that all wasn’t rosey prior to joining the EU. ?

Brexit is like escaping from The Borg after years of assimilation. Yippee.

Reply to Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock