Discuss BS 7671 Regulation 532.6 AFDD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dinger809

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,
I know there have probably been posts on this already, but I can’t find it.
The regulation above says “Where specified, Arc Fault Detection Devices shall be installed....”

Where is it specified? I’ve been looking in the book, on line and on here. Even speaking to NICEIC and board manufacturers, nobody seems to really have an answer when they should be fitted

What is the consensus on here? Or is there one?

I thank you all in advance

Hi all,
I know there have probably been posts on this already, but I can’t find it.
The regulation above says “Where specified, Arc Fault Detection Devices shall be installed....”

Where is it specified? I’ve been looking in the book, on line and on here. Even speaking to NICEIC and board manufacturers, nobody seems to really have an answer when they should be fitted

What is the consensus on here? Or is there one?

I thank you all in advance
On Site Guide page 45, BS7671 regulation 421.1.7 read and digest.

the wiring regs states it is recommend to fit them as addition against fire etc .they will be costly, will you be fitting spuds has well.

Buzz, you’re not kidding! £100 each. In a new install with 10 circuits that’s a grand just on AFDD’s alone. If someone wants a new board, do we HAVE to fit them. As above, the new rev is too ambiguous.

You should do nothing until it becomes imperative to fit them.
1. they cost far too much at the moment
2. It is only a recommendation
3. Generally only heavy loads generate arcs and sparks, applies mainly to industrial systems
4.. Many loose neutral connections are atributed to DNO faults AFDD only work on downstram faults
5. Wait till you can buy an AFDD, SPD, RCD and OCPD in one single pole sized unit at a price which correlates to the price of a RCBO

Thanks Buzz, I know what they are and what they do (I am an approved sparks) but I’m just trying to get a consensus on when they should be fitted in new installations. Six of us on a job last week and six opinions on what should be done
Don't want to but in but: AFDs
THhe use of AFDsis recommended as additional protection against fire in an A/C Final Circuit. Such protection is not offered by Circuit Breakers, fuse or RCDs as AFDDs are designed to detect low level hazardous arcing that Circuit Breakers, Fuses or RCDs are not designed to detect. AFDDs detect series and parallel arcs which, for instance, can occur within damaged cables an poor /loose connections.
AFDDsn may be provide as:
A) one single device complying with BS EN 60898-1 61009-1 or 600269
B) One single device BS EN 60898=1, 61009-1or 62423. incorporated in a protective device.
C)An AFDD add on module.
AFDDs shall be installed at the origin of the circuit to be protected.
Clear enough now is it.

And and AFDD won’t detect a fault on a ring final circuit, only on an appliance attached to it, due to the nature of ring final circuits. So, what’s the point of fitting one to them.

Again, my question is, when they should be fitted, or even do they need to be?

And and AFDD won’t detect a fault on a ring final circuit, only on an appliance attached to it, due to the nature of ring final circuits. So, what’s the point of fitting one to them.

It's a RECOMMENDATION only, What does your Scam say? or are they as much in the dark as the folk that produce the Regulations?

Hager are working on one the will work on a RFC rated at 32A, however Schneider can only offer one that will only work on a radial with a max rating of 25A. So in the future you will need to check the spec of what is installed when doing a periodic as there does not appear to be any standardisation across manufacturers as yet.

Hager are working on one the will work on a RFC rated at 32A, however Schneider can only offer one that will only work on a radial with a max rating of 25A. So in the future you will need to check the spec of what is installed when doing a periodic as there does not appear to be any standardisation across manufacturers as yet.
There's a surprise.

If you were considering installing AFDs in a domestic installation, you’d be looking at installing them on Shower or cooker circuits.
There may come a time where AFDs are required everywhere, but until that time, I’d limit their use.

There's a surprise. Not much thought given to this issue in my book, a knee jerk reaction by the IET.

I understand it’s a recommendation, but 532.6 says “shall be installed” which usually means “will be installed”

The helpline say, do a risk assessment when installing to explain why it hasn’t been fitted! I’ll just do that and as others have said, put it on the higher rated circuits for now and see what happens in amendment 1.

Reply to BS 7671 Regulation 532.6 AFDD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock