Discuss BT telephone line distribution box. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

PeterW44

DIY
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Everyone, I have what looks like a BT telephone line distribution box which was installed over 30 years ago (residential). Photos of it are attached. I think it was used to connect multiple phone sockets. I now have a new fibre socket for phone and modem. I no longer need multiple sockets so, I wonder, can I now disconnect the distribution box? I would appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thank you.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If the master is still there, as mentioned above, you can unscrew the lower half of the front plate, which will unplug from the remaining half. Any extensions will be connected to this. (Should be)
Just pull the small wires out the blade connections.

The main incoming phone line, although now not in use, is still technically owned by BT and shouldn’t be touched. This will be connected to the back of the master, and doesn’t need to be worked on.

Disclaimer;
This is how I remember phone sockets in the past. There may have been changes since. Or your particular system has a different type of master.

OP
P

PeterW44

DIY
Reaction score
If the master is still there, as mentioned above, you can unscrew the lower half of the front plate, which will unplug from the remaining half. Any extensions will be connected to this. (Should be)

The main incoming phone line, although now not in use, is still technically owned by BT and shouldn’t be touched. This will be connected to the back of the master, and doesn’t need to be worked on.

Disclaimer;
This is how I remember phone sockets in the past. There may have been changes since. Or your particular system has a different type of master.
OK, that's great. Thank you. I appreciate your help.

OP
P

PeterW44

DIY
Reaction score
OK, that's great. Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Disclaimer;
Just to let you know that I have disconnected the old box and all is good. So thank you, your help enabled me to it without calling in an engineer.

Reply to BT telephone line distribution box. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

T
Hi All, I have recently rewired a 4 bedroom house in which i have installed 4 telephone points throughout the house as requested by the client. i have wired 3 slaves from the point Where BT would bring in their cable to the master. The problem i have is that the customer as now went for virgin...
Replies
Views
7029 dave
7029 dave
Ken O'Beirne
  • Question
And the 1st thing I see is Smeg cooker tripping randomly. So Here's My Issue Have Spent Numerous hours trying to talk to someone at Smug Smeg, Only to be directed to another dept of Smeg And yet another. So the Issue, approx every 8 to 10 months . Oven rarely set to as high as 220. Normally...
Replies
Views
Ken O'Beirne
Ken O'Beirne
R
  • Question
I am at a standstill installing the new cooktop until I can determine if the new one works with the present wiring/breaker. (I am keeping in mind the contractor may not have installed the right wiring/breaker for the original (current) cooktop either, so tell me if you determine this is the...
Replies
Views
Megawatt
Megawatt
M
Hi All, I need some advice please. I am getting the whole house rewired/plastered and at the same time, i would like to put in a telephone cable in certain room in the house. I am bit confused on what i should buy and install. I reviewed forums and they seem a bit old, so could be...
Replies
Views
plugsandsparks
P
thomasd87
  • Solved
Electrical isn't my thing though I know just enough to get me into trouble thinking I can do it after coming up with grand ideas. When I bought my house, it was an older house with the typical cloth two wire wiring. There was one new 3 wire that had been ran to a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom...
Replies
Views
westward10
westward10

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Search Forum

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.