Discuss Building Regulations breached? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Unfortunately,the conveyancing solicitor's arm,will have the same,slight curve in it,and will direct the OP in a giant circle...

There are loads of estates,going back to new-builds in the 90's,one right near me,where the properties are legendary,for missing insulation,due to gangs of brickies,dragging the same four pieces of full-fill,up the cavity...look like a tiger's head,on the FLIR.

New builds,in this country,are more in need of a thorough survey,than a 200 year old cottage,but various schemes,obviate that....and it's a shame ?

A quick trawl,on the internet,will show the magnitude and nature,of some of these developments...it also shows up the level of help available,and likelyhood of a satisfactory conclusion.

Having seen footings poured on tipped ground,piles a shovels depth,and whole properties with missing insulation,cavity closers and wall-ties....there is nothing left,on a brand-new,executive development,which would surprise me :(

But it's ok because it's all been checked for building regs compliance by the independant building control officer, none of those local authority bco's with their sticking to the rules and regulations nonsense.

Yes, you are absolutely right, the insulation is missing. The developer can no longer be involved as 2 years have passed, this could only classify as 3-10 years BuildMark Warranty Cover from NHBC.

It was fitted in December 2015

if the board was fitted in December 2015, 4 years ago am I missing something that only 2 years have passed.

Unfortunately,the conveyancing solicitor's arm,will have the same,slight curve in it,and will direct the OP in a giant circle...

There are loads of estates,going back to new-builds in the 90's,one right near me,where the properties are legendary,for missing insulation,due to gangs of brickies,dragging the same four pieces of full-fill,up the cavity...look like a tiger's head,on the FLIR.

New builds,in this country,are more in need of a thorough survey,than a 200 year old cottage,but various schemes,obviate that....and it's a shame ?

A quick trawl,on the internet,will show the magnitude and nature,of some of these developments...it also shows up the level of help available,and likelyhood of a satisfactory conclusion.

Having seen footings poured on tipped ground,piles a shovels depth,and whole properties with missing insulation,cavity closers and wall-ties....there is nothing left,on a brand-new,executive development,which would surprise me :(

Can’t argue with what you’ve seen. However, not all developments are the same. I moved into a new build last year, the forth new build house I’ve had. Never had a major problem with any of them. All minor snags were rectified promptly.

Cant comment on the local building inspector, but my conveyancing solicitor was waiting on the NHBC inspection before we exchanged on my latest new build. It was delayed, because the downstairs toilet was 10mm out of position, therefore not complying with Part M.

So you just need the right developer and trustworthy solicitor. The only dodgy characters I’ve found, are estate agents. But you don’t need them to buy a new build. :)
[automerge]1572936114[/automerge]
yes, 4 years to now. The house is under 10 years build Mark Warranty, the first 2 years are from Builder, then from year 3 to 10 is with NHBC.

Go and get some legal advice. You can get a half hour consultation for less than a tank full of petrol. Then you will know where you stand.

Last edited:
Fair enough? and there are the odd,exemplary development,i have viewed - but always at the higher end of the spectrum and smaller,non-nationwide construction outfits.
They are mostly using private inspection companies,nowadays,which can bring other problems...

On the larger projects,i cannot remember anyone mentioning a toilet being 10mm out,but i do remember the toilets that collapsed through flooring,and ones where the soil pipe went to a garden soakaway ?

....oh,and me favourite puzzle,was where the bathroom door did not open all the way,when the toilet lid was down ?

When’s a new build not classed any longer as a new build. Like my first new build I bought in 1979, or my parents house they bought in 1950, which was built in 1895 :)

Can’t argue with what you’ve seen. However, not all developments are the same. I moved into a new build last year, the forth new build house I’ve had. Never had a major problem with any of them. All minor snags were rectified promptly.

Cant comment on the local building inspector, but my conveyancing solicitor was waiting on the NHBC inspection before we exchanged on my latest new build. It was delayed, because the downstairs toilet was 10mm out of position, therefore not complying with Part M.

So you just need the right developer and trustworthy solicitor. The only dodgy characters I’ve found, are estate agents. But you don’t need them to buy a new build. :)
[automerge]1572936114[/automerge]

Go and get some legal advice. You can get a half hour consultation for less than a tank full of petrol. Then you will know where you stand.
Funny thing, I requested The NHBC inspection documents and the house passed all inspections, however, that piece of paper only shows some dates and what actually was inspected. What caught my attention is the Floor structure inspection. I can not believe the Building Inspector could not see such obvious defects.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-05 at 11.00.54.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 15
When’s a new build not classed any longer as a new build. Like my first new build I bought in 1979, or my parents house they bought in 1950, which was built in 1895 :)
and your parents house will still be standing when all the 21st century new builds have been demolished

and your parents house will still be standing when all the 21st century new builds have been demolished

Doubt it, it’s being developed to build student flats. :)

Know what you mean though; the lathe and plaster ceilings needed replacing, external walls needed cladding to add insulation and the gas water heaters in the kitchen and bathroom probably needed a service.

Funny thing, I requested The NHBC inspection documents and the house passed all inspections, however, that piece of paper only shows some dates and what actually was inspected. What caught my attention is the Floor structure inspection. I can not believe the Building Inspector could not see such obvious defects.

I‘ve been reading my nhbc policy, there’s a link to start a claim, to check its part of their warranty;

I very much doubt that the floor inspection involved measuring the drain position to the nearest 10mm! Probably more concerned with the beams having correct spacing and bearings, dpcs in place, vents in place etc.
Additional meter box likely added due to requirement from network operator that only their equipment can be housed in their box. As has been said, your house for whatever reason, has CU further away from meter than other plots, necessitating the additional breaker box. Additional meter box required to house it. Nothing wrong with that in itself.
Lack of lintels, cavity trays, and insulation more concerning, height of weep vents looks like they put in a tray for the first box a bit low, hopefully lack of insulation is localised and due to careless removal during fitment of additional meter box, and relatively easy to reinstate.

I very much doubt that the floor inspection involved measuring the drain position to the nearest 10mm! Probably more concerned with the beams having correct spacing and bearings, dpcs in place, vents in place etc.
Additional meter box likely added due to requirement from network operator that only their equipment can be housed in their box. As has been said, your house for whatever reason, has CU further away from meter than other plots, necessitating the additional breaker box. Additional meter box required to house it. Nothing wrong with that in itself.
Lack of lintels, cavity trays, and insulation more concerning, height of weep vents looks like they put in a tray for the first box a bit low, hopefully lack of insulation is localised and due to careless removal during fitment of additional meter box, and relatively easy to reinstate.
Hi
i have consulted a RIC accreditated surveyor, and yes, you are absolutely right. The top meter box is a Network Operator requirement, so generally speaking thats the right place for it. However the missing lintel, no cavity tray and insulation fails into defects year 3-10 under NHBC BuildMark warranty.

Reply to Building Regulations breached? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net