Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Bulkheads on wooden fence post in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all, after some guidance about whether it's a) legal and/or b) frowned upon to install 240V bulkheads fixed to a wooden fence post? I've heard conflicting advice over the years, with some saying no problem as long as it's secured to the post, not the panel, and others saying that since a fence post could feasibly rot and be replaced, it's a big no-no. (The fence posts in question here show no sign of rotting any time soon.)

I'd generally err on the side of caution, but in this scenario there's not really any other sensible location to fix said bulkheads - its by a decking area so putting them on poles, or using pole lights would look a bit odd.

I'm potentially considering fixing them to the fence posts as planned but converting them to SELV - would that be considered acceptable? Or am I being much too cautious here?

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Some might agree that securing any electrical apparatus to a wooden fencing structure is unsafe, due to it being susceptible to damage from collapsing due to winds etc.

However I’ve some similar structure in my garden, that I intend to fix luminaries to.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Some might agree that securing any electrical apparatus to a wooden fencing structure is unsafe, due to it being susceptible to damage from collapsing due to winds etc.

However I’ve some similar structure in my garden, that I intend to fix luminaries to.
As have I

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi - for me a fence is not our usual permanent structure. They wobble in the wind and fall over in 10 years, so not ideal. But these are things that can be addressed with appropriate installation methods and an annual inspection during BBQ :).

I personally do not like cables clipped to ordinary fence posts , fences tend to lean , shift and blow over quite often.
However if a customer wanted a light on a post I probably could be persuaded to do it. So long as the post was in good solid condition

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
Overhead power lines can be supported on wooden poles. What’s the difference?

About 3 times the diameter of wood to rot through, I guess

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all for the replies - sounds like it's not quite as frowned upon as I thought, so I'll probably go ahead (ensuring that the bulkhead picked is suitable for that purpose.)

Ah got to love creosote, unfortunately not being a tradesperson though I can't get my hands on it! The new creocote stuff isn't a patch on the old :-(

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
Horses for courses wooden garden sheds can blow over in the wind and metal brackets can rot away by the sea. All installations have a risk factor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Horses for courses wooden garden sheds can blow over in the wind and metal brackets can rot away by the sea. All installations have a risk factor.
This is very true, I've seen electrics installed in sheds that look like they're in much worse condition than your average wooden fence post..!

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Reply to Bulkheads on wooden fence post in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Top Bottom