Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Bulkheads on wooden fence post in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all, after some guidance about whether it's a) legal and/or b) frowned upon to install 240V bulkheads fixed to a wooden fence post? I've heard conflicting advice over the years, with some saying no problem as long as it's secured to the post, not the panel, and others saying that since a fence post could feasibly rot and be replaced, it's a big no-no. (The fence posts in question here show no sign of rotting any time soon.)

I'd generally err on the side of caution, but in this scenario there's not really any other sensible location to fix said bulkheads - its by a decking area so putting them on poles, or using pole lights would look a bit odd.

I'm potentially considering fixing them to the fence posts as planned but converting them to SELV - would that be considered acceptable? Or am I being much too cautious here?

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Some might agree that securing any electrical apparatus to a wooden fencing structure is unsafe, due to it being susceptible to damage from collapsing due to winds etc.

However I’ve some similar structure in my garden, that I intend to fix luminaries to.

Pete999

-
Arms
Esteemed
Some might agree that securing any electrical apparatus to a wooden fencing structure is unsafe, due to it being susceptible to damage from collapsing due to winds etc.

However I’ve some similar structure in my garden, that I intend to fix luminaries to.
As have I

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi - for me a fence is not our usual permanent structure. They wobble in the wind and fall over in 10 years, so not ideal. But these are things that can be addressed with appropriate installation methods and an annual inspection during BBQ :).

I personally do not like cables clipped to ordinary fence posts , fences tend to lean , shift and blow over quite often.
However if a customer wanted a light on a post I probably could be persuaded to do it. So long as the post was in good solid condition

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Overhead power lines can be supported on wooden poles. What’s the difference?

About 3 times the diameter of wood to rot through, I guess

Risteard

-
Arms
Esteemed
You should consider also whether the luminaries are suitable for mounting on combustible surfaces,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all for the replies - sounds like it's not quite as frowned upon as I thought, so I'll probably go ahead (ensuring that the bulkhead picked is suitable for that purpose.)

Ah got to love creosote, unfortunately not being a tradesperson though I can't get my hands on it! The new creocote stuff isn't a patch on the old :-(

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Horses for courses wooden garden sheds can blow over in the wind and metal brackets can rot away by the sea. All installations have a risk factor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Horses for courses wooden garden sheds can blow over in the wind and metal brackets can rot away by the sea. All installations have a risk factor.
This is very true, I've seen electrics installed in sheds that look like they're in much worse condition than your average wooden fence post..!

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Have you ever been to Centre Parcs, half the lights are on fence posts or man made posts or trees. There everywhere.

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Centre Parcs has everything for the kids and i can drive home in under 2 hours, im miserable.

S

Squid

tsk mosquitoes alone, might as well go to Poland Scotland.
Went to Scotland years back with a Polish ex girlfriend and 3 of her friends, 2 females one male. Stayed in a cottage by Loch Ness and by a small village and ended up drinking in a bar which was basically a massive shed I don't think the locals knew what had hit them, 3 lasses knocking back vodka shots, playing pool and dancing on the tables, I think it was the best night they had ever had and we ended up with a load of free drinks, I suppose if we had been English they would have screwed us over.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
I think it was the best night they had ever had and we ended up with a load of free drinks, I suppose if we had been English they would have screwed us over.
Bet they did; you bought all their mingin vodka they’d been trying to get rid of for months and smiling at the numpties on the tables. Did they take you to see the wee monster. ;)

S

Squid

Funny enough it was decent Polish vodka and not that Scottish stuff that looks and tastes like a fermented tea bag.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to Bulkheads on wooden fence post in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom