Discuss Bunches up lighting circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

They are just 2 circuits..
A lot of cables to have into 1 mcb though, why not just put them all to 1 proper termination and then take a link from there to the mcb..
What would the nuisance tripping be?
What is the loading of the 2 circuits and their designations?

I read it differently..

I’m just on site and will read the rest later.

Thanks for the useful input
I guess every body is entitled to their own opinion Mike, but I'm puzzled on how you read it differently, and OCPD protects 1 circuit therefore it is 2 circuits rather than 8, example, if someone had taken a 13Amp socket spur from the 32 Amp OCPD, would you class that as 2 circuits?

I guess every body is entitled to their own opinion Mike, but I'm puzzled on how you read it differently, and OCPD protects 1 circuit therefore it is 2 circuits rather than 8, example, if someone had taken a 13Amp socket spur from the 32 Amp OCPD, would you class that as 2 circuits?
Do you know how to have a healthy debate? I say what I’m thinking and then you comment on what I’ve said.

You can’t just say not 8 but 2 full stop not alliterating on your answer then not expect me to comment on the vague cocky comment.

That’s why I think it is sarcastic.

I never said the circuits were dangerous I’m just stating that it is poor practice and what coding would you put?

I’m unsure where the cables go as I’m currently here.

Thanks

Just another comment,

There is a flat directly above this unit owned by shop) There are recessed luminaries inside a dropped down plasterboard ceiling (lathe and plaster ceiling above) which have no fire hoods and grid lights in a suspended ceiling again with no fire hoods (never seen fire hoods on a grid ceiling light) my thinking is a C3 or does lathe and plaster offer some sort of magical barrier!

Comments?

Do you know how to have a healthy debate? I say what I’m thinking and then you comment on what I’ve said.

You can’t just say not 8 but 2 full stop not alliterating on your answer then not expect me to comment on the vague cocky comment.

That’s why I think it is sarcastic.

I never said the circuits were dangerous I’m just stating that it is poor practice and what coding would you put?

I’m unsure where the cables go as I’m currently here.

Thanks
I thought that was what I was doing Mike, I questioned why you thought that the original response was sarcastic.
Suggested that you had a right to your opinion, and gave a legitimate example of another scenario, for you to comment on, if that's not debating the issue, then I don't what is, quite where you get "cocky comment" from is beyond me, may I suggest you climb down from your high horse, anyway it seems that I have gotten on your wrong side, so I will resign from this debate. In conclusion I would agree a C3 is the correct coding, over and out.

Just another comment,

There is a flat directly above this unit owned by shop) There are recessed luminaries inside a dropped down plasterboard ceiling (lathe and plaster ceiling above) which have no fire hoods and grid lights in a suspended ceiling again with no fire hoods (never seen fire hoods on a grid ceiling light) my thinking is a C3 or does lathe and plaster offer some sort of magical barrier!

Comments?

Fire hoods are only required where a fire barrier needs to be maintained. Suspended ceilings with ceiling tiles are rarely, if ever, installed as fire barriers.
For the other ceiling you would also need to confirm whether a fire barrier has been breached or not.

Whilst it is good practice to do it not all holes in a fire rated ceiling would need to be fire sealed either, depending on the number and size of the holes and the type of fire rating.

Currently carrying out an EICR on a commercial property and have noticed 8 lighting circuits bunched into 2 MCB’s.

The regulations basically define a circuit as everything which is connected to a single way in a DB. So technically you have only 2 circuits here.
As pointed out previously there are another potential issues with this arrangement.

How many lights are connected to each cable?

Just another comment,

Comments?
It would be magical with a lathe in the ceiling.....lath and plaster.....and don’t get your knockers in a twist.;)

Hi,i am unsure as to how any code could be given to that particular circuit,if the OP does not know where they go (post #8)

If it turns out,the bare end of one of those cables,is dangling above the bath,with a loofah tied to it....i'll code accordingly;)

It is not uncommon to see 4 or 5 cables jammed into 1 mcb.
I have sometimes popped a cable into an already occupied mcb for a light or 1 socket.
Just make sure it’s clear what mcb does what.
It’s poor practice to shove too many into one mcb but not inherently dangerous.
I only really comment is say a 1mm is put on a 32a mcb.
See this quite often on older houses where an alarm was fitted and they nick a feed off the socket 32a mcb but yes 1mm to supply their fused spur...

I think you are right that it is bad practice. But this is an often encountered scenario. So what can be done about it? Often there is no spare ways to cant off the excess wires to, so would one suggest another DB to take the excess wires, hardly as the client will not pay for that. I agree a C3 which in essence is covering yourself regards liability. We all know that nothing will be done about it. And we often see two wires going into a 32a MCB for a RFC, with an additional spur for comms in offices out of the same MCB if not more sometimes. Again bad practice?

Reply to Bunches up lighting circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock