Discuss C/U change with housing Association in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

ive checked terminations on the ring. ive even taken all face plates off and tested every leg to leg. ive just put a temp link between the two sockets that are open earth. then cross connected R1R2 and R2R1 and gettin a good reading of 0.39 to 0.44 ohms at every socket with the temp link. please bear in mind that the whole house is shoddy wired cables extended with connector blocks.

on one socket its a stranded earth cable but by the time its reached the socket D/S its been changed to a solid copper conductor. there is no visual connection so it must be berried in the wall. i think the best thing to do is just replace that leg of the ring.

before i ripped the old C/U out i did a fill inspection and all reading came back fine
Had you carried out a full inspection and test before the CU change surely this fault should have been evident then?
I think you may count yourself extremely lucky if your housing association don't send you a bill for this electricians time and materials.
Reading through your OP and your subsequent responses makes me question your qualifications and ability to carry out this work as even an apprentice would know the abbreviation RFC. However it needs to be put right so, how many RFCs are there in the property? I would expect 1 upstairs 1 down and 1 kitchen that's the way social housing providers USUALLY want them wired. Although I know anything could be possible.
That's your starting point

If I were you I'd stop putting temporary links in anywhere mate. Once we can prove it's needed yes it can go in but in your position I'd leave it for now. Let's prove it one step at a time.
By the way, what test equipent do you have?

my qualifications are C&G 2330 level 2 level 3 and 17th edition regs. when i said temp link, it was just a temp link to prove that that was where the brake was. the test equipment i have is a metrel easitest.

the house im in has 2 rings one in the kitchen and 1 for the rest of the house.

no its just plastered brick. its all ok now i know where the brake is so ill just replace that leg. the only reason i dont know the short hand is because ive only ever worked for two electricians who have never used the abbreviated terminology. if they mean the ring they could say ring. thanks for your help though

I find it annoying at times when people use acronyms and expect everyone to know them.

For interest Ring Final Circuit comes 57[SUP]th[/SUP] in the international list of acronyms for RFC. Rugby Football Club is first.
Then of course RFC is also internationally recognised as Radial Final Circuit, which comes in at 65[SUP]th[/SUP] in the listing. So it really is a bad one to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
ha ha ive already asked to move. they dont want to move me cos no1 else would take the house im in. the heating doesnt work and the house has mould growing on ceilings due to needing a new roof....william sutton homes (no affinity sutton) only care about there new built houses. repairs of old houses dont get done.

ill have to go see the local boy scouts and get them to teach me how to rub two sticks together......or the loacal ASBO will do.

Does the house have dado trunking? Or alternatively trace the path of the cable and then check the skirting if a nail is in the path of the cable.

if you changed the c/u then you should be prepared/able to rectify faults, otherwise you shouldnt of changed it in the first place

yes i am able to sort this problem out. and i am going so. but my point to it was gettin the green light from the housing association this house is a can of warms.....cable after cable is extended on connector blocks...(which is the fault) ive even found sockets in the house to have the lives of the ring put into a connector block and then extended with a single 6mm cable

point is how much of your own money do you spend sorting out a house someone else owns? when they should do repairs but i know they will never turn up to do it.

Guys: Maybe i'm being dense but if a full Pre-change installation test was done, how was an o/c CPC missed ?

how does anything brake if it worked fine before it broke? like i said all the circuits hvbe been extended at some point with connector blocks and J/B's.

the wiring is that old that in places we still have aluminium conductors!

point is how much of your own money do you spend sorting out a house someone else owns? when they should do repairs but i know they will never turn up to do it.

none mate,if the house is that bad,i wouldnt even pay them rent,but theres 2 sides to a story.id have thought the heating and mould would be the priority not replacing the cu

ive sealed the mould in with PVC and and keep trying with the heating. the only reason ive changed the cu is for an assessment.

people on here seem to be jumping on my back saying im not competent to do the work but i think its all down to the fact i dont speak in sparky lingo or explain my actions the right way.

the only issue ive got with the house and the work i need to do is.... permission...time and money (im on the dole at the moment)

so if i'm giving people the wrong impression about me because i dont explain things then i apologise.

Reply to C/U change with housing Association in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net