Discuss Cable calcs 3 phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Its been long since I was in college doing cable calcs and obeing onsite as I've studied a completely different course at university, I understand de-rating factors but need some clarifying up to brush up.

If I need a 600A supply which can be split 200A each phase. and being supplied via SWA underground over a distance of 200m at a depth of 0.8 to a sub dis board.

When doing cable calcs do I use 200A or 600A?
And when reading cable datasheets for 3 phase reference method d - 1|thee or 1 four-core cable three-phase AC , does the data in the table refer to each phase ie. as 1mm2 - 21A per phase or 7A.
Bit of a stupid question

Thanks for your help.

Another thing to consider is the voltage drop over 200m.

Hi - there are no stupid questions, but my thought is you should be able to work this one out from first principles. Have you got BS7671 to hand? In your example what is single phase current carrying capacity for 1mm? Then for 3 phases at 1mm?

Cable calculations and data tables are based on the actual current in each conductor. You happen to have single-phase loads spread over the three phases of a 200A 3-phase, 4-wire circuit. If instead you chose to supply the loads from a single-phase circuit, the conductor current would then be 600A and that would be the figure to use in the calculations.

Cable calculations and data tables are based on the actual current in each conductor. You happen to have single-phase loads spread over the three phases of a 200A 3-phase, 4-wire circuit. If instead you chose to supply the loads from a single-phase circuit, the conductor current would then be 600A and that would be the figure to use in the calculations.
Thanks , think i just had a brain meltdown yesterday

Reply to Cable calcs 3 phase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net