Discuss Cable Calcs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Steve D

Hi All,

I'm rewiring a garage. There is SWA into the garage and I intend to fit a new RCD protected garage CU with 16A & 6A breakers.
Would you recommend putting a 25A or 32A breaker in the main CU ?

I haven't inspected site properly yet but I just had a thought with respect to the existing SWA cable sizing which is currently buried. Am I right to assume that the cable needs to be sized in accordance with the size of the CU fuse? Therefore a 32A breaker at the CU demands that the cable is capable of carrying minimum 32A ?

Excuse my ignorance but I'm never really worked with SWA in the real world before, so what is the difference between tables 4D4A 70C armoured thermoplastic and 4E4A 90C armoured thermosetting? I've got a note in my regs to generally use table 4E4A but naively, I don't really know have to identify what type of SWA exists.
Will there be some sort of code on the external of the cable for me to identify ?

Cheers
Steve

The breaker size will be decided by the size of cable u are using because ur breaker is used to protect ur cable . Some S.W.A cables have the size written on them i would generally use a 32A breaker for 2.5 and 4 mm cables

Thanks,

With respect to the SWA gland I need for terminating, there are internal & external types. Does this simply mean for indoors use and outdoors use.

When I'm terminating the SWA into my metal CU, and I use a banjo (I think that's the right term anyway!) to link the SWA armour to the CU earth, what size CPC would you normally recommend for this link? Would it be 10mm or would you recommend something smaller.

Apologies for the basic questions, but it's only when you start to do these types of jobs that you see the shortfalls in the college courses - I accept they can't teach absolutely everything, most things will come with experience.

Cheers
Steve

Yeah it will just be indoor and outdoor , i tend to use just the external glands

Banjo,s , Frying pans , earth tags , yeah stick one of them on and just use an earth wire the same size as the cores on your S.W.A

2.5mm protected by a 32A breaker, really???

Twas what i thinked.

Also, unless the SWA is stamped then its virtually impossible to tell the size.

Even with experience, it doesnt get any better as nearly all the manufacturers cables are different.

Hi Steve D

Don't worry about the main isolating breaker in the CU you can leave that at 100A if you want, its the overcurrent protection/fuse you are supplying the submain with you want to rate in line with the size of the submain. To get an idea of the size of the submain you need, or to ascertain if the existing is Ok you need to work out the maximum demand. If you are unsure of the size of cable you need, give us more detail of the run and length and the MD and we can give you a indicative cable size.

The way I usually size SWA's
  1. By looking (sometimes on side of cable) or taking an educated guess..
  2. Disconnecting a core and trying different size lugs to gauge.
  3. Use a vernier calliper.

Regards

No you can't call them Banjos anymore...all to do with racism and culture...ridiculous ... I know

They're called banjos because they are the shape of a banjo, no other reason.

Of course you can call them banjos, whoever told you can't is talking nonsense.

2.5mm protected by a 32A breaker, really???

Yes

Well depending on number of cores and installation method this exceeds the CCC of the cable.

It might just be me but I wouldn't entertain the idea of protecting a 2.5mm with a 32A MCB regardless of what the book says it can handle, it just doesn't sit right. 20A MCB max.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought 2.5mm cable was only capable of taking around 27amp max in the best of conditions. 20amp would be better suited for 2.5mm radial. surely!!!!!

4mm cable will run on 32amp fine I believe at a push a 40amp mcb

Hey bud.

We're talking SWA which according to the book will carry in excess of 38 odd amps in ideal conditions, i.e a 2 core on perforated tray in free air.

Other than that the max is bewtween 31 and 33A which means it would be operating at maximum capacity under a 32A MCB which is not advisable. Also by the time derating factors are taken into account there is a chance the cable would begin to overheat before the protective device would operate and we all know what that means.......

Last edited by a moderator:
bbq
i have just had 1st bbq this year
i like a nice juicy sausage
Cable Calcs {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:

Reply to Cable Calcs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock