Discuss Cable selection on boat for 1000W motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bill01803

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, I was asked in the office last night what size cable would be required for a 12V 1000W windlass with a cable length of 14m. I know how to calculate but where do you find the tables for 12V volt drop etc?

you're going to need one hell of a big cable. use resistance per metre from tables, multiply by 14, then V=IR, where I=83A

going to need at least 50mm cable. don'tforget, the warme the cable gets, the higher the resistance and hence increased VD.

Hi,it is a pretty standard install. Use 50mm high quality welding cable,and get someone to sort the runs and containment,correctly.
Long runs of multi-stranded flexible,can be very hygroscopic,and will need correct attention,at terminations.

Make sure the installer understands the word "hygroscopic"....as the yankee spell-check,has failed :rolleyes:

Hi all, I was asked in the office last night what size cable would be required for a 12V 1000W windlass with a cable length of 14m. I know how to calculate but where do you find the tables for 12V volt drop etc?

It's the same volt drop table as any other voltage, the resistance of the cable doesn't change.

Other details,i forgot to add,were it's duty ratings. It's not a bow-thruster,so it will have short duty-cycles (all in the MI) and 1000W is the maximum,so majority of use will be way below,at no-load operation.

Anchor winch,would be a whole different basket of whelks...

Well,i suppose it's all relative....

It's forecast a change,to 10,and you need to do a rake of furling and unfurling,to get back to safe waters....

The cable,is an average length of site,MMA welding cable....

I wonder which job,is the one where you thought "Mmmm,i'm glad i spent that money..." :)

Just the job for me indeed...provided it's Capstan Full Strength!
However, just for clarification, is this an anchor windlass or a furler we're talking about? Clearly, the Lofrans linked to above is the former...

Reply to Cable selection on boat for 1000W motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock