Discuss Came across some cable I haven't seen before in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I came across some cable today I haven't seen before.

It has some sort of tough, inflexible pvc type sheathing (definitely not rubber). It's quite a light silvery grey and more oval shaped than modern flat T&E.

Rubber insulation.

No CPC.

Probably tinned copper conductors, but maybe even aluminium?

A picture paints a thousand words so here we go. Perhaps this is common in other parts of the country, but it's new to me.

Attachments

• Came across some cable I haven't seen before IMG_5275 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_5275.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 126
are you sure the sheath is pvc? looks a bit like lead sheathed from pre WW2. if so, the lead sheath is the cpc.

Definitely come across the shiny silvery pvc sheath stuff before, but not rubber insulation but usually a very tough shiny pvc type insulation.
Ashathene seems to ring a bell.

I've seen lead sheathed many many times Tel. It's not. It's not rubber either. Some sort of PVC type material I'd say. Less flexible and tougher than modern stuff though. You certainly can't rip down it with a conductor like some do today.

It's lighting cable shown above. Everything else has previously been rewired. I also found some 3 core the same as the twin. Red, White and Blue. No CPC.

I've came across old pvc/pvc from 60s which has no earth in it and separate bare earth ran along side it, however the red and black sheath in that cable looks more like rubber from the picture

'Copper clad' from the 70's springs to mind.....although I don't remember it without an earth conductor.

We don't just collect cable! :)

Rubber-insulated, plastic sheathed was a recognised construction but I don't know much about it, I will have to look it up. Natural rubber in good condition has extremely high insulation resistance, while early PVC was often considered an inferior substitute used only because rubber was scarce and expensive due to the war. So I think the idea here is to combine the benefit of rubber insulation with the economy and toughness of the polymer sheath.

I would be very keen to get hold of some lengths of this and would convert them into beers...

We don't just collect cable! :)

Rubber-insulated, plastic sheathed was a recognised construction but I don't know much about it, I will have to look it up. Natural rubber in good condition has extremely high insulation resistance, while early PVC was often considered an inferior substitute used only because rubber was scarce and expensive due to the war. So I think the idea here is to combine the benefit of rubber insulation with the economy and toughness of the polymer sheath.

I would be very keen to get hold of some lengths of this and would convert them into beers...

I'll put some aside tomorrow. I should be able to get hold of a good 4/5m length of 2core in good condition and possibly 2/3m of 3core in not such good condition (part of this has been painted at some point.

Fantastic, grab what you can and I'll PM you with postage info.

IIRC Ashathene was a trademark of Aerialite cables, a portmanteau of Ashton (the brand name of their electrical installation cables) and Polythene, the common name for PE. I am not sure whether Ashathene was actually a PE/ natural rubber blend, or whether that came later. I have some genuine Ashathene and other PE-insulated T+E removed a few years ago that one of my late mentors installed himself as a young man. It's all still good for service although the sheath of some of it has become noticeably stiffer, possibly on the PE-insulated, PVC-sheathed type.

Reply to Came across some cable I haven't seen before in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock