Discuss Can any electrical oven be hard wired? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jwblue

DIY
Reaction score
We do not have an outlet in the area behind the oven. Our current oven is hard wired.

There is an outlet just above the counter near the oven area. Can a new oven be plugged in that outlet?

Can any oven be hard wired if we choose to do that?

Is it easy to install an outlet behind an the oven?

Its often harder to plug a floor standing cooker/oven into an above counter bs1363 socket. (trailing cables). To chop off the manufactures plug may affect your warrenty and that includes qualified registered electricians

It looks like we are going to have an electrician install a 220 Volt outlet.

Anything to look out for or to confirm with the electrician to make sure the task is done with safety in mind?

One concern is there is a tight space behind the oven. How much open space is necessary behind an oven to have it plugged in?

We do not have an outlet in the area behind the oven. Our current oven is hard wired.

There is an outlet just above the counter near the oven area. Can a new oven be plugged in that outlet?

Can any oven be hard wired if we choose to do that?

Is it easy to install an outlet behind an the oven?
You are not allowed to hard wire any appliances. Your plug is your disconnect and if you install an outlet it needs to be a 4 wire outlet using # 8 wire. You need to send a picture of the other outlet that you are talking about. I’m going to assume that your oven is totally electric and not gas

Interesting to know.

In the UK cookers are often hard-wired but with an isolation switch nearby on the wall so they can be turned off for cleaning/maintenance or if faulty, etc, without electrical work.

Hello All,

I just joined the forum, great info here. I saw a question/thread concerning a direct connection from an electric appliance fixture/electric cooktop or cooker. I’m still a newcomer but trying to learn more. I was just chiming in on jwblue’s thread, but maybe I can kill two birds with one stone in this reply. As soon as I finished researching, I will be looking to upgrade an existing electric cooktop that is on a 208/240v circuit with a 30amp breaker here in the US. to a new 240v induction cooktop while also upgrading the circuit. I am not sure how old the original cooktop is in this 60 + year old house, but the old electric cooktop and electric wall oven are on the opposite sides of the kitchen and are on the same 240v 30amp circuit, on top of that their supply wire is aluminum, so it needs to be re-wired using copper and grounded to the service panel or breaker box right?

Here’s the kicker, the cooktop is hard wired from the cooktop to a junction box below the counter and then to a junction box under the floor, the wall oven is also connected directly to the same junction box under the floor with the cooktop and then they both are connected into the breaker box with no interrupter or switch from what I can see. (I will double check because I can’t see behind the wall oven at this point). I am wondering what choices I would have for a new copper wire circuit. Could a 30amp GFI breaker be installed with 10-2 NM-B cable with ground to the panel if the cooktop and wall oven requirements allow? Am I on the right track here in having this circuit installed and connecting the appliances and ground wires in that junction box under the floor and then out to the breaker box/panel and ground all? All info is appreciated Thanks. PS I have also been reading about these Wago connectors, are they rated for 208/240v circuits? Thanks again.

Hello All,

I just joined the forum, great info here. I saw a question/thread concerning a direct connection from an electric appliance fixture/electric cooktop or cooker. I’m still a newcomer but trying to learn more. I was just chiming in on jwblue’s thread, but maybe I can kill two birds with one stone in this reply. As soon as I finished researching, I will be looking to upgrade an existing electric cooktop that is on a 208/240v circuit with a 30amp breaker here in the US. to a new 240v induction cooktop while also upgrading the circuit. I am not sure how old the original cooktop is in this 60 + year old house, but the old electric cooktop and electric wall oven are on the opposite sides of the kitchen and are on the same 240v 30amp circuit, on top of that their supply wire is aluminum, so it needs to be re-wired using copper and grounded to the service panel or breaker box right?

Here’s the kicker, the cooktop is hard wired from the cooktop to a junction box below the counter and then to a junction box under the floor, the wall oven is also connected directly to the same junction box under the floor with the cooktop and then they both are connected into the breaker box with no interrupter or switch from what I can see. (I will double check because I can’t see behind the wall oven at this point). I am wondering what choices I would have for a new copper wire circuit. Could a 30amp GFI breaker be installed with 10-2 NM-B cable with ground to the panel if the cooktop and wall oven requirements allow? Am I on the right track here in having this circuit installed and connecting the appliances and ground wires in that junction box under the floor and then out to the breaker box/panel and ground all? All info is appreciated Thanks. PS I have also been reading about these Wago connectors, are they rated for 208/240v circuits? Thanks again.
You will need a 40 amp breaker double pole breaker using # 8 copper wire. Most cook tops and the oven are usually wired on the same circuit. Since your home is 80 years old and with aluminum wire and probably no equipment ground. To do it correctly then tear out all the aluminum wire and replace it with three # 8 copper wires and 1 # 10 ground wire to your first junction box under your home. When you splice your wires you can use # 10 copper wire for your cook top and # 8 copper to your oven. If it’s was me I would install a 4 wire receptacle rated for 40 amps for the oven which they sell the receptacle and cord at Lowes or Home Depot. You will probably have to hard wire the cook top using # 10 wire times 4 which will include your equipment ground wire. With that much current I wouldn’t recommend wagos for this application and use either wire nuts or split bolts. I hope that this helps. Let us know if you need anymore assistant.

Reply to Can any electrical oven be hard wired? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net